Menu
T0rNaDo69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

advise on upgrading

so i just been onto virgin about turning off a tivo box that my son aint used in ages.

and to price up faster internet. currently on 200mb and the newer tv box.

told i can get 1gb and a new tv box at a good price.

checked on youtube and can see what the new hub4 is like.

issue is the hub only has 4 ports as normal....... and i need many more.

currently got a superhub and a 10/100/1000 switch. but my current hub can only handle upto 300mb and the switch only does 100 download.

so do anyone know of a 16port router or switch that can handle this 1000mb download speed.

also planning on renewing all my cat5 cable in the house soon to cat6

cheers.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: advise on upgrading

Cat5e can do 1000mb, you might not need to upgrade.

You can type gigabit Ethernet switch into Amazon etc for a new switch

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What is your current Hub? If you go above 200 then they will issue you with a Hub3/4 and your switch should then be fine if it has 1GB ports - you say 10/100/1000 so is that not with GB ports?

Any unmanaged ethernet switch with 1GB ports should do the job. Just look online at the big A or similar for options

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
T0rNaDo69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the replies....

i know cat5e can do 1000mb, but the cable install is very old. and i want to add more ports in the bedroom aswell.

so makes sense to upgrade it to cat6

my current hub is a superhub that can do upto 300mb, as i am on 200mb speed.

i know they will issue me a hub4, read some horror stories about hub4 and constant internet drops..

though they where a year ago..

no my current switch isn't, 100mb for internet and 1000mb between pc's connected to the switch.

hence the reason for my post. wondering if anyone else has the need for more then 4 ports in their home and using a switch or a big port router.

0 Kudos
Stobbsy74
Superfast
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I also recently upgraded to 1gig broadband. I also, due to decorating the house just installed cat 8 ethernet cables. People will say its overkill, but from my point of view, I dont want to do it again for next 10 years at least.

Regard the ethernet switch  I bought a Netgear GS316 which is an 16 port unmanaged switch. TP link also do a similar switch.

T0rNaDo69
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hi thanks for the post, how are you finding it ? getting good DL/UL speeds. and any issues with disconnections etc..

understandable with the cat8, but after doing some research on speeds for cat cables.

i dont think i need cat 8, but i will look into cost versus cat 6 stuff and see what the difference is.

0 Kudos
Stobbsy74
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Seem to average about 850 - 920mb/s download and 45+ upload, not had any dropouts or anything as yet

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cat5e cable is perfectly ok for most use. I even have some good quality Cat5 cable that I installed years ago and it’s perfectly ok at 1G. Whatever you do don’t install Cat7 cable, there is no international standard for it. If you are really really thinking of future proofing your installation I would install fibre, you can the pump 25G over it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

<snip>  If you are really really thinking of future proofing your installation I would install fibre, you can the pump 25G over it.

Exactly this, anything above Cat 6 should go fibre. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Legend
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Also using Netgear GS316 here, all Cat 6, only 350Mb service.