Menu
lastings
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

advice on smart home /mesh system and access point

Hi everyone

This may be a daft question, but here goes! I have set up my smart home stuff using a wifi extender that splits the ranges into 2.4 and 5ghz, making it possible to set up the plugs/bulbs etc by logging my phone into the 2.4ghz range for the install. However, I am setting up a mesh system and want to get rid of the extender as it is not 100% reliable - the signal drops and I have to reboot every so often.

However, I am not sure whether I would have to keep the extender, as it is the stated network in my smart home apps. My question is, once the smart life/Kasa stuff is installed, can I switch off the extender (which has a different network name, e.g. <my virgin name_ex2>) and will my smart stuff automatically seek out the 2.4GHz band on my main virgin signal? Or, am I stuck with the extender on for the foreseeable? The mesh system doesn't seem to have any way of separating the signals, and the point of it, to me, is to have a single network name throughout the house to save logging on and off all the time.

Sorry if this is obvious and hope it makes sense - I am not an expert, just a persistent (and interested) OAP!

Heather

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: advice on smart home /mesh system and access point

If you're "going mesh", then that is usually best with the VM hub in "modem mode", and the network name of the mesh will be whatever you choose.  If you chose the same name as the existing VM wireless extender, then the smart devices SHOULD connect to the mesh without you having to reconfigure them, BUT you'd have to make sure that the extender is not turned on, otherwise the devices won't know which of two similarly named signals to connect to.

Or you give your new system a fine, upstanding name (like HeatherMesh), and you then reconfigure each smart device to connect to that - a bit of a faff, but you'd only need to do this once.

I know that the combined networks of the VM hub often causes problems, but when I installed my TP-Link mesh, it did the same thing of one name for both signals, but unlike the hub, it seems to work properly.  I can't say why the VM hubs cause so many problems in this respect, but I can say that other companies have made "same network name" setups work properly, so I'd say roll with it, and we'll advise if you do encounter problems.  

Bear in mind that if the wifi drop outs were actually a cable connection problem, then that will also happen with a mesh system.  A simple way of checking this would be to post your hub's status data here (as formatted text, not screenshots) and we can take a quick look for anything obvious.  To do this, connect to your hub, at the log in page you don't need to log in, just click on the link "Check router status", and what we'd need is the contents of the three tabs called Downstream, Upstream and Network log.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lastings
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: advice on smart home /mesh system and access point

Thanks for your reply - it is really useful 🙂 I know about modem mode and intend to give it a try. It is encouraging that you say a TP-Link mesh system could sort it out, as that is what I am getting! Waiting for it to arrive now. If I can distinguish without having to use a separate network name that would be perfect! I never get a drop on my PC, which is connected via ethernet not wifi, but I will look at the logs anyway (which may take a while, as it is not something I am familiar with). My instinct is that it is poor wifi causing the problems I am experiencing, and will experiment further. Once the mesh is set up I will report back!

Thanks for this - it helps 🙂

Heather

0 Kudos