Menu
ians44
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

adding Netgear WiFi access point

Need to install VM supplied Netgear Powerline 500 Wifi Access Point XWNB5201.  Had them on previous system with Tivo but need to boost diabolical Wifi in part of house.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: adding Netgear WiFi access point

@ians44 wrote:

Need to install VM supplied Netgear Powerline 500 Wifi Access Point XWNB5201.  Had them on previous system with Tivo but need to boost diabolical Wifi in part of house.

Plug it in?

what’s the question exactly?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
ians44
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Basically, I have a set of WiFi extenders supplied by VM several years ago before I had a Hub3 installed in study on first floor.  The WiFi around the ground floor varies from great in room below study to very varied elsewhere, anything from below 5mps to 50+mps.

The extenders are Netgear Powerline 500 wifi extender and base connected by ethernet to Hub. I don't know how to set them up so they have the same ID as the hub, ie VM1234567.  I don't want to keep swapping access nodes.  I thought they should just boost the WiFi on ground-floor from the Hub3.  Any suggestions, bearing in mind that I am a bit of a technophobe.

Ian

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They're old kit now and probably not that good.

I would look into getting something more up to date like a decent mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ians44 wrote:

Basically, I have a set of WiFi extenders supplied by VM several years ago before I had a Hub3 installed in study on first floor.  The WiFi around the ground floor varies from great in room below study to very varied elsewhere, anything from below 5mps to 50+mps.

The extenders are Netgear Powerline 500 wifi extender and base connected by ethernet to Hub. I don't know how to set them up so they have the same ID as the hub, ie VM1234567.  I don't want to keep swapping access nodes.  I thought they should just boost the WiFi on ground-floor from the Hub3.  Any suggestions, bearing in mind that I am a bit of a technophobe.

Ian

You will need to log into teh netgear devices and change the SSID name to match that of your hub.. instructions for doing so are here - page 10 onwards.