cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube videos hanging

andygibson
Tuning in

Hi, for the past month I've been having issues with selected Youtube videos not loading or hanging indefinitely. The issue is happening across multiple devices (tablets, phone, laptop) and only on some videos. Generally the videos will work again after a day or two, and different ones will stop working. 

All the videos play fine on all these devices when I tether them to 4G mobile data. The problem is only occurring on Virgin's fibre network. General data speeds and other video content work fine, its just Youtube that's showing the issue.

Any advice how I can stop this from happening, or thoughts on why Virgin's network would be less consistent for streaming Youtube clips than 4G mobile?

16 REPLIES 16

@andygibson wrote:

I have still received no response from Virgin on this issue, despite the promises of the Twitter support team that this would be answered. 

Youtube is virtually unusable on my Virgin broadband network, but works fine on all devices across 4G.

The most likely explanation is that Virgin is intercepting Youtube traffic and routing it through a different system, one that is frequently broken. Is there a way I can pay more money for a package where Virgin promises not to "add value"?

Whilst I do think that this is a virgin issue, i've not seen any comment from staff that they understand what causes it.. there are a number of other posts around here that describe the same/similar problems with both Google and Netflix content delivery services. 

See these threads from other users with teh same/similar problems

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Netflix-problem/td-p/4457189

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Netflix-not-working-on-any-device/td-p/4564...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Netflix/td-p/4452402

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Youtube-and-Google-Play-Store-doesn-t-work/...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Google-Play-apps-not-updating/m-p/4307733#M...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Youtube-and-Google-Play-Store/m-p/4333550#M...

Virgin host CDN nodes for big content providers within their network to make sure that they have the content close to their customers - this is for the benefit of both teh content provider (Google, Netflix) and VM and its users.

As i suggested in a previous post, you could put your hub into modem mode, connect a single device (PC) to it via ethernet and see if (when you have a new ip address) the problem goes away.. this has resolved it for several previous posters.. if it does, then you have two options.

1. Push VM hard for a new hub.. this is the only reliable way of getting a new IP address when runnign the hub in router mode.

2. Buy your own 3rd party router and use the hub in modem mode..

option 1 will likely be very difficult to achieve for two reasons, firstly because there's a shortage of hubs at the moment and VM aren't providing them unless there's an obvious fault it won't be replaced and secondly, explaining your predicament to the service desk over the phone is unlikely to get you the outcome you want.. you may have better luck with the forum staff but given the current hub shortage, if they can't see an obvious problem with your line/hub they may be unable to dispatch an engineer to you

option 2 is easily the quickest way to resolve this but it's going to cost you some £££. Anything from £50 for a very basic router to several hundred for an all-singing-all-dancing mesh system.. 

Whatever you do, you should verify that a change of IP address resolves it for you before you press VM / spend money on a router of your own..

Thanks so much for posting such a detailed reply, it's really appreciated.

I do have a router I can use, so I will try the modem mode test you suggested first.

I've had problems fiddling with VM routers before though (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!) so I'll do it at the weekend when I'm not relying on the network for work. It does sound like switching the IP could fix it, given the content is working over mobile data.

I will post back here if I manage to make progress!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @andygibson

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding not being able to watch certain YouTube videos on your Virgin Media connection. I am really sorry that you are having to resort to using mobile data just to watch some videos, I understand how frustrating this must be.

Have you tried changing your DNS to 8.8.4.4?

Please do keep us posted on how you get on in modem mode.

Best wishes,

Serena

Did changing the DNS work?

I can't play any streaming app videos on the V+ in the evening (I used to be able to do this no problem not long ago) - especially YouTube, All4, iPlayer

very frustrating as I want to watch music videos when there is not much on.

My v+ is connected via wi-fi as super hub 2 is at different end of the house on a different floor. using a wi-fi extender - says 100% in 'network settings'. Considering a powerline adapter but the 2 floors are on different circuits and don't think this would work.

Seriously thinking of ditching VM after many long years of paying through the nose for poor service

Hey @jpress,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your V6 box and internet connection.

I have looked into your account and cannot see any issues that would be causing this, have you tried to perform a pin hole reset of your hub since these issues started?

Also, would you be able to try connecting your tv box via a wired connection and let us know if you have any issues using that connection type.

Regards,

Steven_L

Unfortunately the router is on the 1st floor at the front of the house & the V+ box is on the ground floor at the back - I've not got a cat5 cable long enough 😉

The ring mains for upstairs and ground floor are on different circuits in the fusebox so I doubt Powerline adapters will work (plus it's an old house although I think the wiring is in good condition) and mesh wi-fi is flipping expensive.

That's why I used a wi-fi extender (Netgear). Fortunately I decided to log into the extender and take a look at the signal levels of the router at the extender (which were fine) when I noticed the FastLane option hidden away in a menu. Turning this one (5G to the router, 2.4G to the V+ box) and we've been watching on demand and YouTube all evening with only 1 glitch (a content unavailable message which trying again worked). Fingers crossed, this not only may have solved the problem but saved me a packet of money investing in a mesh network (which I might do if prices become more realistic). No idea why things degraded - it was fine when we first went into lockdown, maybe a neighbour introduced new wi-fi or some other form of interference, but I hope this has fixed it.

Hi jpress, 

Thanks for popping back to update the thread. We're glad things seem to be working OK for you now. 

If you do have any further issues then pop back here so we can help further. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs