cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube Video Loading Delay on Multiple Devices - Seeking Assistance

adbjb
Joining in

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a peculiar issue with YouTube and I'm hoping someone in this tech-savvy community might be able to shed some light on it or provide some suggestions.

The problem started recently when I returned from a holiday. Now, whenever I attempt to play a YouTube video on my MacBook, there's a significant delay (about 10 seconds) before the video starts playing. What's strange is that the rest of the page loads swiftly; it's just the video itself that's lagging (the page loads but the video player remains a blackbox with a loading icon for 10+ seconds. It also runs into the same loading issue when loading adverts - usually they play instantly but there is a 10 second wait for the adverts). I'm seeing the same issue on my phone, too, so it doesn't seem to be device-specific.

Here's what I've tried so far to troubleshoot:

• Cleared browser cache and cookies
  • Updated Chrome to the latest version
  • Checked if there were any updates pending on my MacBook
  • Tested on different browsers (Firefox and Safari) with the same results
  • Checked for the same issue on other video streaming platforms (Vimeo, for instance, works fine)
  • Attempted to change video quality on YouTube (though due to the loading issue, couldn't access these settings)
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome
  • Tested YouTube in Incognito/Private mode to see if an extension might be causing the issue
  • Checked my network speed (speed tests results seem fine)

So far, none of these steps have resolved the issue. The delay persists. While it's not a critical problem (once the video starts playing, it runs smoothly), it's still a frustrating experience, especially as the videos used to play instantaneously.

I'm reaching out to this community for any insights, advice, or potential solutions you might have to offer. Is there anything I've missed in working this out?

I've also been suggested to do the following but I wanted to ask here first before doing these:

• Used a VPN to see if ISP throttling was the issue
  • Flushed DNS and reset TCP/IP
  • Changed DNS servers to Google's public DNS

Thank you for any thoughts

Best

13 REPLIES 13

risc19
Well-informed

It's funny you say that mine has been acting strange too. Sometimes a video (in a new tab on chrome) loads instantly, sometimes any new tab fails to load at all. This promps chrome to ask if it should continus to wait for it to load.

I'm on PC on windows 11 BTW.

I have...

Reset chrome settings

Deleted cache

Reinstalled.

Delected extensions

Sacnned windows using dism (no problems found)

Reset network adapter

Changed ethernet cable.

Nothing helps, it just doesnt respond, then it starts again.

It may be unrelated, I just thought I would mention it.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @adbjb,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you seem to having some complications loading and viewing videos via YouTube. Is this only happening when connected to the Wi-Fi service? Do you have this problem via mobile data?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach

Thanks for taking a look. Yes it is only on WiFi. Loading a video on mobile data was instant when I tried it just now. 

I seem to have also a similar issue with WhatsApp media. Videos are taking a while to load, as are pictures. Might be related but not sure. YouTube is my priority to get sorted.

Thank you

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey, adbjb. 

Thanks for the posts and updates, we're sorry to hear that the issue remains unresolved. 😞

Could you tell us if your speed test results if ran here show any issues related to the performance such as slow speeds etc?

Also, is the issue present on all devices when on the Wi Fi and ethernet? 

Let us know how things look too since you last posted on Saturday and we'll be eager to assist.  

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Adri_G

It remains unresolved. I still have issues across the likes of YouTube, WhatsApp and Facebook media loading on both mobile and on my computer. Things to work as expected via a ethernet cable - shown on my Smart TV loading YouTube videos instantly.

The connection service could not find a fault with my service.

How can I accelerate the fix here? Is this Virgin's only Customer Service outlet? I will have to consider the impact this is having on satisfaction as a customer the longer this goes on. (If it is deemed to be the provider's fault.)

Thank you

Hi adbjb,

Thanks for getting back to us,

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see no issues, everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Can you please perform a reset of the hub and let us know if there is any change?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex

Just did a reset, and no change.

Here's a screenshot from the JavaScript console when I load a random video. Remember this issue is also happening on WhatsApp and Facebook - it can't be an extension on my computer if it is also happening to my phone... right

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 12.13.56.png

Hi @adbjb, thank you for your response.

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. 

Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner. If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

Thanks for confirming your details via private message adbjb

I have arranged a technician appointment for you and it can be tracked via your online account. Please sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated. You can also check your appointments via the 'My Virgin Media' app.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for.

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Kind Regards,
Steven_L