Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeelight Smart Bulbs Connection Issues

Hi,

It seems that the popular Yeelight smart lighting devices are just not compatible with my Virgin broadband network.

I am experiencing the 'Connection timed out' issue when trying to connect my bulbs to the Hub 3.0 for the first time. I have tried everything on various forums I can find and nothing seems to work.

The bulbs do connect to a temporary 4g hotspots so this issues is specific to Virgin.

Has anyone managed to get to the bottom of this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Yeelight Smart Bulbs Connection Issues

Have you seperated out the 2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's one of the many steps I've tried.

Also tried: removing WPA security, adding Mac address of bulb from the hub settings, updating bulb firmware via temporary hotspot connection.

On some forums it says to try and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8. but in order to that I'd have to put the hub in modem mode and connect another less-resistrictive router. Even this hasn't worked for everyone

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As a TEST, setup a guest network on your hub and set no security. See if they will connect to that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wow I can't believe it. This actually worked!

I connected the bulb to the guest network. Updated it's firmware. Connected back to my original home network and the bulbs remained connected.

Honestly, I can't thank you enough because I've been stuck with this issue for months

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sweet!

Glad its working for you, any other hassles come back and ask. We dont always have answers, but we try LOL.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could you add some more information on the fix for this, I have the same issue and can connect to the guest network without password but the lights still wont connect to the main2.4ghz wifi. did you disable the 5.0ghz. which security settings did you use?

0 Kudos