cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Modem mode on Hub 5 fix this?

gabrielluzvm
Tuning in

Information:

1. Our house has two floors, made of thick walls, and has 4 rooms upstairs, (1 bedroom being added downstairs)
  2. The living room (downstairs) is equipped with Virgin Media's Hub 5 router offering Wi-Fi 6 technology (package of 1200 Mpbs or 1.2 GB internet speed).
  3. In the hallway (at least 10 or 15 metres from the router), installed a RE220 AC750 when I was younger with the idea of expanding the Wi-fi Signal upstairs. I have recently learned it is a budget extender, it is not compatible with our new Wi-Fi 6 router which can affect speeds and naturally, these extenders are primarily used for horizontal connections, rather than sending signals to superior floors (which is my goal).
  4. I have recently acquired a Deco X20 3-pack KIT: One was placed near the router through an Ethernet cable connection, the other was placed in a Room A that is directly above the living room (therefore above the router) and the third one was placed in the hallway, near where the RE220 used to be. These Decos are helping a lot.
  5. I have also recently acquired an Archer AX1800 AX20 router which has been placed upstairs. 

Question:

My goal is to increase speeds on devices on the second floor for stable. In Room B, which is directly in front of Room A, I have a desktop PC in where an Ethernet cable that is ran around house FROM the Hub 5 is connected TO the AX20 Archer AX1800 router, and then another Ethernet cable from this router connects to my desktop.

The speed, however, is frustrating as tests have continuously resulted less than 10Mbps on the desktop through Ethernet and also lower than 10Mpbs on iPhones through Wi-Fi.

I have heard of configuring my Hub 5 into Modem mode, is this what i’m missing this whole time? Would this explain why the speed on the desktop PC in Room B is way lower than unexpected? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@gabrielluzvm wrote:

In view of being fairly new to this, I barely understand the concept of access point, so will likely be returning the AX20. 

And I have now successfully turned the Hub 5’s Modem mode on and there is only one Deco X20 wired connection directly from the Hub. Fair improvement 👍

If I wanted to return all of this, implement that XE75-nearly-£300-system, would I still be able to see benefits from it?

Considering my Hub 5’s technology is Wi-Fi 6.. and I saw the picture displaying the 2.5Gbps ethernet port, would this work in this case, even if my VM broadband package is the 1200Mbps option? 

I suppose it depends if you think you have enough devices in use at the same time to see the benefits of 1130Mbps over 940Mbps across all your devices.

For a normal house 940Mbps should be plenty, however you are paying for 190Mbps (Ish) of unusable bandwidth.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

carl_pearce
Community elder

I'm not sure how you've setup your devices, however potentially you have three different systems all conflicting with each other as the 'router'.

You need to:

• Turn off and remove all cables from the AX20 Archer AX1800 router.
  • Put the HUB 5 into modem mode and connect one of the Deco X20 via ethernet.
  • Connect all other wired and wireless devices to whichever Deco X20 is closest (Do NOT connect any other wired devices to the HUB 5, only one Deco X20.
  • Reboot the HUB 5 and Deco X20s.

Keep in mind that when using third party routers/mesh systems with 1Gbps Ethernet ports you are limiting your overall bandwidth to 940Mbps, rather than the full 1130Mbps (Ish).

You'd need a system with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port to use the full bandwidth.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

I’ll give this a go, I just don’t know what to do with the AX20 router now, as I was hoping this minimise my Ethernet connection issues upstairs. 

You mentioned I’d need a system with 2.5Gbps ethernet port, would you have any recommendations? I’m trying to learn more about this. 

Can you return the AX20?

If not, you could put it in access point mode for your use case.

Regarding 2.5Gbps ethernet, something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-XE75-AI-Driven-Quad-Core-HomeShield/dp/B0BF5FYG12

This would replace the Deco X20 and AX20 devices you already have, which I'm unsure you if could return?

In view of being fairly new to this, I barely understand the concept of access point, so will likely be returning the AX20. 

And I have now successfully turned the Hub 5’s Modem mode on and there is only one Deco X20 wired connection directly from the Hub. Fair improvement 👍

If I wanted to return all of this, implement that XE75-nearly-£300-system, would I still be able to see benefits from it?

Considering my Hub 5’s technology is Wi-Fi 6.. and I saw the picture displaying the 2.5Gbps ethernet port, would this work in this case, even if my VM broadband package is the 1200Mbps option? 

@gabrielluzvm wrote:

I suppose it depends if you think you have enough devices in use at the same time to see the benefits of 1130Mbps over 940Mbps across all your devices.

For a normal house 940Mbps should be plenty, however you are paying for 190Mbps (Ish) of unusable bandwidth.