Menu
glenito
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Worth upgrading hubs?

Hey community,

I've been with VM since...forever 😁 and still have the Super Hub 1 as my WiFi router.

It's that time of year to see what the market is offering, and one of the considerations is whether to look at hubs with simultaneous 2.4/5GHz WiFi bands and also 802.11ac rather than just draft n,

If I did decide to renew with VM, what I have read about the Hub 3 isn't very appealing sadly, and I can't seem to find a summary that says whether its many issues were fixed via firmware.

My questions are:

1) Is the Hub 3 now stable?

2) Which is the most stable Hub? (1/2/2ac/3/4) - considering gaming/video calls/Netflix 4K

a) If Hub 4, is that only available if you go for the fastest package?

b) If 2ac, is that still available to be requested?

Thanks guys!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Worth upgrading hubs?

Hello

The only 2 hubs that are now available would be the hub 3 for all customers who are not on the 1Gbps service and the hub 4 for the 1Gbps customers, there has been some customer in 1Gbps areas who have gotten hub 4's on the lower packages by invite when that area is affected by high utilization. No other hubs are offered the original super hub 1 will only handle a 400mbps line anything higher you will need a hub that is faster but there is only 3 and 4 there is no other options, yes the wireless can have problems depending on the property and a lot of customers use the hub 3 in modem only mode with their own router.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
glenito
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I decided to ask for the Hub 3, it arrived today and other than no WAN (the VM HITS activation system appears to be down) the WiFi signal speed seems to be much better. The 5GHz band is 3x faster than my Hub 1 (I could never use this before as needed the range of the 2.4GHz and could only have one or the other) and the 2.4GHz signal seems to be 4-5 times faster at the extremes of the house. This is all without the WAN working of course but hopefully that won't have an adverse effect on the WiFi speed!

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you think the hub3 is good on Wi-Fi you seen nothing yet if you was to spend £50 on a 3rd party router. Its a different animal 😎

But if hub3 is satisfactory..enjoy 👍

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
glenito
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip! My main concern was getting a WiFi signal that would allow me to utilise my current 108Mb/s internet connection. If I get a faster internet connection and the Hub can't keep up or I have connection issues I'll maybe look into getting a separate router.

As it was I was using kit that was likely 10+ years old so this should see me right for a good while hopefully!

0 Kudos
glenito
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WAN is now working fine and WiFi speed still way better than with my Hub 1. The only negatives I have seen with the Hub 3 so far are that reboot times seem longer, and the way it doesn't clear old Admin sessions without a reboot. Other than that, as long as it keeps the same performance and doesn't need too many reboots I'll be very happy with it!

0 Kudos