cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Service ever

jharar
Joining in

I have Virgin Media Broadband installed at my place back in August.

Package I took out was 512 MBPS, I have been receiving approx as low as 5 MBPS.

I have contacted Virgin Media several times so far  I had 3 Engineer visits.

Every time engineer came they turned around and blamed the previous engineer workmanship.

As per last visit which was approx 2 weeks ago that Engineer confirmed I am sharing my connection with my neighbour, Which should not be happening that only happens on Temporary basis so the customer can be online and direct connections should be done with 2-3 weeks Max.

He contacted his support team they turned around and said I have to wait approx 4-5 weeks.

I have been paying the full amount what we agreed at the time when I took the service biy never had proper service from Virgin.

I was told last time as I did not had proper service I am allowed to leave without termination fee.

I was advised I will get an email confirming within few hours 2 days passed nothing came through. I contacted Virgin back again I get told they are not aware about it and if i want to leave I have to pay.

I mentioned I am not getting the service which I was promised they turned around and said you are getting service as long you are not totally out, Wow..

You are taking money out via Direct debit every month without fail.

Very Disappointing service company who cant keep up there words.

Now I have been told New cable is going to be laid on 19th January.

I had enough of this....

I would like to know what Virgin media going to do about this.

I want to leave Virgin simple as that after all this.

During christmas we could not even watch properly Prime video or Netflix as it was constantly dropping the cg the speed result it was buffering every time that happened we checked the speed it was as low as 5-10 MBPS.

I will look forward what you are about to do??

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I want to leave Virgin simple as that after all this.

This should be possible, but you'll need to follow a formal process.  As you're in a fixed term contract you'll have to start by using the VM complaints process asking to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, poor customer service and ineffective efforts to resolve the problem.  The legal and regulatory basis of your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care" under Section 49, and allows for the contract to be ended for failures by the supplier (and compensation) under sections 54 and 56.  Secondly, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, item 4 of which states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty." Your complaint should also ask for compensation for the persistent poor service of say £150, plus a partial refund of charges already made - perhaps half of the monthly charges made to you.

When complaining to VM, I always recommend putting complaints in writing and sending by recorded post.  The online and phone options sound quicker, but there's a track record of these failing to get any adequate result.   If VM can sort your complaint out to your complete satisfaction, the job is done,  but you should expect the complaint to be handled to the same standards you're now accustomed to from this company.  You'll probably get an unsatisfactory "resolution letter", and in that case you reply by rejecting the VM resolution and ask for a deadlock letter.  With the deadlock letter you take the matter to Ombudsman Services.  If VM never get around to issuing any resolution letter, then after eight weeks you can escalate to the ombudsman without a deadlock letter.  

Make sure any Ombudsman complaint is clear and well structured - use bullet points or headings to keep it all clear, because the adjudicator will know nothing about the case other than what you tell them,  Make their job easier by helping them understand your experience, start from the beginning, include as much detail as possible on the contacts you've had with VM, including (if relevant) any rudeness or being cut off or disconnected, broken promises, failed efforts to resolve.  It should also specify exactly what you want: Leaving without penalty, partial refund of charges, and a generous "goodwill gesture" (compensation) for the hassle, wasted time, broken promises and sheer unpleasant inconvenience of the whole thing.

If the forum staff can grab this and get it sorted that will be quicker and easier for you, but don't settle for any compromise or inadequate goodwill gesture just because it's easy - VM's track record on compensation is very poor.

I contacted Virgin media again, I explained them upon last visit from an engineer he confirmed I have shared connection with my neighbour thats why I havent got stable connection and its the reason I have intermediate speed.

I suppose to get 512MBPS thats what I have signed for but I end up getting as low as 10Mbps on a worst day best one I had just over 100Mbps.

They are saying i should connect my equipments via ethernet , How is that possible...

I demanded to disconnect my service as its been like that since it connected back in August.

Engineer did say shred connection is only temporary so on the day customer is not offline, but it should have been done by now but its been long.

When I explained this to Virgin media they turned around and said you have not been offline at all it's just a drop of speed we do not take any responsibility of that we only look into it if it's speed drop while you connected via ethernet cable.

Why does then Virgin media even give Wifi hubs out.

One of my worst decision of my life when I decided to take contract out with virgin media.

Hi Jharar, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your connection looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration, so much so that it has made you want to leave us. 

We can raise a complaint for you here on the forums if one isn't already open and we can also contact the local engineering team to see if we can get a direct connection work order requested for your property. However, piggybacking off another connection may not be the root cause of the connection issue you're experiencing.

Can I ask if those slow speeds are done via WIFI or Wired connections please? 

Can you also download the Connect App to see if it detects any signal issues within the home that we can investigate and fix? 

Thanks,

Megan_L