Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Working from home woes

I have recently made the move to virgin and am getting 100mbps in every room in the house. The issue is with my work computer which is getting less than 5mbps! 

Causing some serious issues with team calls! Ever other computer and device works perfectly with full speeds except this one device. Work are saying there is nothing wrong with their tech so I'm unsure with what to do. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Working from home woes

Which Hub do you have ?

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and your 'work computer' and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speeds aren’t guaranteed. Only wired speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The guaranteed download speed is 50% of the advertised speed of our service on the date that you placed the order and is set out in the speeds table we send you.

If the actual download speed provided from our network to your Virgin Media Hub falls below the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed, and this happens for 3 consecutive days or more (whether continuously or intermittently during each day), and we are unable to fix the problem within 30 days of you reporting the problem to us, you may have the right to end your agreement without paying an Early Disconnection Fee.

Tilt is the Peoples Champion - MikeRobbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo

I have a new hub 3.0 and on speedtest.net I am getting up to 24 mbps on ethernet connection to the work computer. When I try the same ethernet connection on my personal laptop I get 108mbps.

I fully understand that wifi speeds are not guaranteed however it seems strange that one computer has such a disparity with the other computers I have in the house.

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand that wireless speeds aren't guaranteed however why is one computer getting 4 mbps and another getting 100mbps?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Tilt wrote:

The guaranteed download speed is 50% of the advertised speed of our service on the date that you placed the order and is set out in the speeds table we send you.

If the actual download speed provided from our network to your Virgin Media Hub falls below the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed, and this happens for 3 consecutive days or more (whether continuously or intermittently during each day), and we are unable to fix the problem within 30 days of you reporting the problem to us, you may have the right to end your agreement without paying an Early Disconnection Fee.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

If the actual download speed you received to your Virgin Media Hub during the test period falls below our ‘minimum guaranteed download speed’ for 3 days in a row (continuously or intermittently), we’ll confirm that there’s a speed fault, and if we can’t fix the issue within 30 days of your report, you may be eligible to leave us without paying an early disconnection fees.

Don’t forget, our minimum guaranteed download speed is to your Virgin Media Hub, not the device you’re using WiFi on. Even when using a wired connection, some older devices might not support our fastest speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Nbparkes0505 wrote:

I understand that wireless speeds aren't guaranteed however why is one computer getting 4 mbps and another getting 100mbps?

On a wired connection?

Or wireless again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Nbparkes0505 wrote:

The answer is there.  Something is limiting speeds on the first computer or its connection. Drivers? Ethernet cable? QoS? Dell Smartbyte? Antivirus? Corruped browser?  etc etc...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos