Menu
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Work laptop keeps disconnecting

Thanks for coming back to me Geem

It may be worth talking to your employers to see if any alterations can be made to the firewall settings to see if this can alter this issue. 

It would point more towards a device issue if there are no other devices struggling with this issue 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

Thanks for coming back to me. Unfortunately the IT department have looked at and they advised it cannot be the firewall settings because the laptop works with other providers. I will speak to the again about it. 

Kind Regards Geem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I forgot to mention that I use a vpn to dial into my works network. I also disabled advanced error search to see if this would make a difference but it still drops

Regards, Geem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to use the laptop without logging into your VPN, to browse the Internet or use any other web based apps? 

Does the disconnection only happen, when you're using your works VPN?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I changed a couple of the firewall settings on my hub and the laptop stays connected now

Regards, Geem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

I altered the firewall settings on my hub and the laptop stays connected now

Regards, Geem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

That's great to hear, thanks for taking the time to let us know.

This could potentially help others who are having the same problem so we appreciate it 🙂

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately changing the firewall only worked for a few hours on Sun. I'm working from home today and the connection has dropped 3 times already.

This isn't an issue with my employers firewall, the laptop works prefectly with other broadband providers.

I am extremely frustrated with this.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Regards, Geem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us once again Geem, 

I am really sorry that you are still experiencing these issues, there are a couple of things that I would like to add, the first being unfortunately virgin, as a company are not able to support VPN in general. 

With the situation that you are currently having, It would seem as though there is some issue on the end of the laptop/VPN as all other devices are staying connected.  

Kind regards 

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Just to add my twopence...

Have you tried it wired? If you haven't and you can, then try this and see if it becomes more stable. If it does, then it may well be a wireless issue (could be your laptop, could be the VM hub...)

Also, even though you laptop is "locked down" and connects VPN, I believe you should still be able to see your wireless connection and what router it is connected to. If you lose access via VPN and then check your wireless and it's showing connected, no internet or no connection etc then I would again suggest it's either your laptop or the VM hub.

If your IT department is any good (and if they've locked it down, they should be), they should be able to look through the logs on your laptop and the servers to see what's happening and figure it out from there.