cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wont let me do an upgrade to the superhub 3 through the website even though it says I am eligable?

garne
Tuning in

Hi there

I tried to go through the process of upgrading to a superhub 3 from my old superhub 2ac but the website wont let me and says I have to phone up. Is there any way to just order it online, I'd rather not have to go through the process of phoning up if I dont have to?

9 REPLIES 9

sophist
Trouble shooter

There's an apparent hub shortage at the moment - unless your 2ac is actually fauity, you'll probably struggle to get and upgrade.

what's the reason you want to swap it?

The wifi cuts out in certain parts of the house and I've heard that the older routers arent the best in terms of wifi range so I was hoping that one of the upgraded ones would give me decent signal.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true.  A Hub3 or Hub4 will not cover a room that the 2ac doesn't - unless it was faulty of course. 

There are much better ways of improving your WiFi coverage. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The Sub 3 doesnt have any improvement to the antennas over the 2ac? That's unfortunate, I guess I'll get a 3rd party router.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes. Or a mesh system. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

sophist
Trouble shooter

@garne wrote:
The wifi cuts out in certain parts of the house and I've heard that the older routers arent the best in terms of wifi range so I was hoping that one of the upgraded ones would give me decent signal.

Have a read around here 🙂

there are countless posts from hub3 users that are quite damning of the wireless performance.  That said, there must be plenty of customers out there who are perfectly happy with it - it may be an improvement for you, but it also may not.

the other challenge you'll have is that VM don't guarantee any sort of wifi coverage/performance, so if it's "just" a wifi issue, you may struggle to convince them to send a new hub out.

If the 2ac is otherwise stable, the general recommendation from the regulars around here would be to buy your own decent wireless system and put teh hub in modem mode. Entry level mesh systems start at about £100 or, if you prefer, you could opt for a standalone router.. what to buy really depends on your requirements and how big the property is etc..

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just hoped that after a few years virgin would have figured out how to improve the wifi performance!

They did..

But market research determined that people didn't want to pay for it!

That is why the hubs are poor routers - they are bargain bucket!

If you want good wifi - get your own router!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, garne,

Sorry to hear that you have been having wifi issues, We do also have the Wifi Pods that might be of some help with your connection: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new

Cheers,

Corey C