cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues with hub 5

S_C
On our wavelength

Hi

We just recently installed the hub 5 and are experiencing some strange issues with the wireless connections on our devices and laptops.

A brief summary:

Signal is strong so it is not a weak signal issue.
Websites seem to stall and fail to load, but then fixes itself some times hours later.
It appears to work fine on my modern tablet that uses the 5Ghz signal.
The main computer that uses ethernet cable rather than wifi has no issues 

The issues seem to occur on the 2.4Ghz which our older devices only support.

Smart WIFI is disabled (can't enable it, its greyed out but not sure why).
The 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz channels have different names (thought that might've been the initial issue but it wasn't).

Info on the hardware/software:

Standard specification compliant
DOCSIS 3.1
Hardware version1.1
Software version: LG-RDK_2.23.16-2106.14

Some network logs:

Time Priority Description

31-03-2022 01:48:57warningDynamic Range Window violation
31-03-2022 01:48:57warningRNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
31-03-2022 01:37:17warningRNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
31-03-2022 01:37:17warningDynamic Range Window violation
29-03-2022 20:28:02noticeCM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 5; Chan ID: 37; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: N/A.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-03-2022 20:27:59criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-03-2022 20:27:44criticalDHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
29-03-2022 20:27:43criticalDHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

If you have any ideas on the cause of the problem - would greatly appreciate some advice on what I can try.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a well documented issue on here with the Hub 5 and older devices. Most likely faulty firmware still given that the hub is still being trialled. Ask for a Hub 3 or 4 if you have returned your old one saying the Hub 5 is unfit for purpose. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Use it in modem mode and get yourself a better wireless router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@S_C Smart WIFI is disabled (can't enable it, its greyed out but not sure why).

Because the Hub 5 is on customer trial, and is an unfinished product that doesn't currently support intelligent wifi and VM's pods.  That will be added, but on an unknown timescale.  Likewise the compatibility issues will (mostly) be ironed out.  But as @Anonymous says, if you're not prepared to wait, possibly many months, then you need to reject the Hub 5 and demand an alternative.

You could do what I have done, and run the Hub 5 in modem mode with your own router or mesh system added, which gives me better wifi, but additionally has the marvellous outcome of removing VM's five-thumbed hands from my wifi, but I recognise most people will choose not to do that on account of the circa £100 cost of doing so.