Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wireless MAC Filtering seems inconsistent.

I'm having trouble connecting my iPad when Wireless MAC filtering is set to 'Allow' but I cannot understand why. A soon as I switch to 'Disabled' then I get connected to my chosen WiFi SSID. This problem does not arise with my iPhone, using the same SSID (and obviously the same authentication string) - the iPhone gets wifif connectivity in both 'Allow' and 'Disabled' states of Wireless MAC Filtering, which is what I expect.

I have checked that the MAC address and the radio band are correct in the Wireless Filter LIst -  the MAC  matches that shown in 'Settings' on the iPad. I have disabled 'Private WiFi Address' on the iPad, so it is not presenting a randomized MAC to the router.

When in 'disabled' status, with both Apple devices connected via wifi, the 'Attached Devices List' in this part of Hub3 setup (Advanced Setting>Wireless>Security)  has 2 entries for these two devices. When I switch to 'Allow' this list specifically says that no devices are attached, even though I still have wifi service as normal on the iPhone (none on the iPad though). This all seems very confusing and creates a sense of doubt about the information being shown to me.

What is so strange is that both these Apple devices connected to this same service in either Allow or Disabled MAC Filtering status just 2 days ago. The change I have made since then is to rename the SSID while retaining the authentication string.

What should I be checking to further understand why I do not have wifi connectivity for my iPAD in 'Allow' status? Have I misunderstood what the 'Allow' applies to ? I assume it means 'allow service to this specific MAC' - or does it mean 'allow wireless MAC filtering (i.e.blocking) on this specific MAC ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wireless MAC Filtering seems inconsistent.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mac-filtering#hub3orhub4

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The web-site article you have directed me to contains no information that I did not already know and have not yet applied. It provides no explanation for the behaviour I experience. It does not appear to contain answers to the questions I raised.

Specifically, the use of English fails to clarify what the 'allow' and 'deny' apply to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

MAC filtering doesn't work properly and shouldn't be enabled. The workaround for this is to not enable it.

If you require it, put the hub into modem mode and acquire a suitable router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not surprised - I was beginning to suspect this. Thanks for the advice.

So much for so-called 'trusted reviewers' claiming that Hub 3 is an outstanding wireless router (if you ignore the major security and functionality defects it has...)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Who said it was outstanding? The reviews I read all said it was "basic, but gets the job done", which is just about right, as in, it provides a broadband connection. Anything beyond that shouldn't be expected. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos