Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Wired router connection not showing. Powerline instead.

Hi there.

So today we had an engineer visit to upgrade our net to the 500mb package (I am not the account-holder but rather the more tech-savvy person in the house). That was fine. We also moved the router to my room (I use the internet for work a lot) and have got an ethernet cable connected from the router to my PC. However, for some reason I also have a powerline booster (VM brand) plugged into my wall with an ethernet cable connecting that to the router as well. Didn't think much of it, this was the engineer's work.

Here's the problem. The router (SH3) is only showing up as an EXT SSID Wi-Fi connection, and the powerline booster as the ethernet connection. There is no SH3 ethernet connection in sight despite an ethernet cable being connected to my PC. I am worried as I got this router move and wired connection (instead of going via powerline to it when it was downstairs) as a result of problems with the powerline booster intermittently disconnecting for mere seconds which was very disruptive to my work. The whole point was to have an ethernet wired connection specifically to the router from my PC. This connection doesn't appear to exist, but the booster ethernet connection does. My PC is not plugged into the booster in any way besides the mains power cable to the extension tower.

Is this meant to happen? If the powerline booster disconnects again will I lose internet? Why isn't the router itself showing up as a wired connection? I've tried moving the cables to different ports, and unplugging the powerline booster entirely but then I cannot connect to the internet and it shows up as "unknown" or just "identifying..." and in this situation others in the house cannot connect either. I'm very confused.
If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very greatful. As of right now I am apparently connected to both, hoping that if the powerline fails (as it has done before) that it'll default to the router Wi-Fi. This isn't what I want.

Thanks in advance ♥

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired router connection not showing. Powerline instead.

What colour is the Hub Base / Power light ?

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page ...

what devices does it show as wired ?

what devices does it show as wireless ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If you plug in direct to the hub are you saying you get no connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo the Hub colour is white, the wi-fi and arrow lights are off.

It says my desktop is an ethernet connection, alongside a chromecast and the powerline booster. Various phones and other devices show as wireless. That Desktop ethernet connection does not show up in network properties on my PC as anything other than the EXT Wi-Fi connection.

@gary_dexter Correct. It's like the powerline has to be connected for it to work, or it will not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Unplug the powerline and reboot the hub.

Do you then get an Ethernet connection direct from the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've taken the ethernet cable out of the booster and it changed nothing, i'm still connected to it... apparently. I can power down and take it out of the wall completely if you like and report back in some minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Powerline is out of the equation entirely. PC is now connected to "ethernet" but it's labelled as the powerline booster SSID somehow!? Router still shows as EXT and I can connect to that as well (at the same time or something) but still only as Wi-Fi. No ethernet connection to the actual router SSID.

What on earth? We have another booster downstairs but I'm definitely not connected to that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What do you get then ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Disabled both 2.4 and 5ghz bands (i presume this turns it off?) and no change. EXT is still there but not connected predictably, as is the powerline ethernet SSID. Still connected to the internet via that. I can only assume this means that I am connected to the router as it's now the only active connection (just checked) but why does it show as something else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The network name on a wired connection is irrelevant.