Menu
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wired or Wireless Router Recommendations

I'm on the lookout for a router so I can put my Hub 3 into modem mode due to some recent hub lockup issues.

I have a couple of Cisco Aironet APs, so I don't need a wireless router though I'd consider one if there's a WiFi 6 router for a good price, but they all look pretty expensive. I'd like something with firewall features and ideally capable of a VPN in case I want to implement in the future. My connection is only 100mbps and I don't anticipate needing much more than that in the coming years.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti ER-X, but that seems to be nigh on impossible to get hold of at the moment.

Also seen some recommendations for the Zyxel ZyWALL VPN2S, but the reviews don't seem that great and it looks as though it may be discontinued.

What's everyone using? Any recommendations appreciated.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired or Wireless Router Recommendations

Think it’s been replaced by the 6P. Try the Ubiquiti EU store, free shipping and no customs duty. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@SJMcG wrote:

Also seen some recommendations for the Zyxel ZyWALL VPN2S, but the reviews don't seem that great and it looks as though it may be discontinued.

I have this an update for the firmware will fix most problems I shouldn't think it be discontinued any time soon it came out 2018 but given its a low cost cut down router of the Security firewalls who knows it does hardware offloading for NAT and firewall which when tested can do 1Gb with port 80 doing half which is likely a bug, the QoS looks to be not hardware offload so not good for that. Its a simple firewall which you can control your outgoing and incoming from/to IP and ports.

But I would look at their VPN300 which can do 1Gb with QoS and advanced NAT and routing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Think it’s been replaced by the 6P. Try the Ubiquiti EU store, free shipping and no customs duty. 

Thanks.

The 6P is €199 so more than I'm looking to pay, but actually looking on the Ubiquiti store is seems the ER-X is actually available there, albeit without a UK plug option.

0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

@SJMcG wrote:

I have this an update for the firmware will fix most problems I shouldn't think it be discontinued any time soon it came out 2018 but given its a low cost cut down router of the Security firewalls who knows it does hardware offloading for NAT and firewall which when tested can do 1Gb with port 80 doing half which is likely a bug, the QoS looks to be not hardware offload so not good for that. Its a simple firewall which you can control your outgoing and incoming from/to IP and ports.

But I would look at their VPN300 which can do 1Gb with QoS and advanced NAT and routing.

You mean this one that's £900+?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyWALL-Firewall-SD-WAN-license-included/dp/B07889RDGR/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&k...

😲😱

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@SJMcG wrote:

You mean this one that's £900+?? https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyWALL-Firewall-SD-WAN-license-included/dp/B07889RDGR/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&k...

😲😱

Yes that one mind you I got it for £769  

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
SJMcG
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well out of my price range I'm afraid! 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Probably still out of your price range, but I use a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro and it costs about £400, although it also supports all my cameras.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos