forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection works but WiFi intermittant

Hi all,

I have the Superhub 3.0 and the wired connection is usually good. However, in the last couple of weeks the WiFi has been quite poor. The WiFi is from a Virgin Media branded Netgear router and it works most of the time, but keeps dropping out - especially in the afternoons. The network just disappears, sometimes just for a minute, but it can be up to two hours. During the time the wired connection is still working - but all other devices lose the WiFi channel.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wired connection works but WiFi intermittant

The hub3 isn't manufactured by Netgear.

Can you elaborate what this Netgear device is?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - the Hub is a Virgin Media one (3.0) - but it's the WiFi router that is Netgear - but with the Virgin Media branding (see picture). A wired connection goes into the WiFi router. 

Image.jpeg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's a (very) old Wifi extender.

The hub will still be outputting wifi as well though.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. To be honest, I am not sure what piece of kit is emitting the WiFi signal, but which ever it is, it keeps dropping out intermittently. The wired connection continues to work, but the WiFi connection disappears. Sometimes for a minute or so, sometimes for a couple of hours. 

It was generally fine until the last few weeks. So I don't know if this means the Hub needs replacing, or these old WiFi extenders...? Or if there is anything else I can do to check what the problem might be?

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The best thing you can do is unplug that Netgear and bin it ASAP.

And vacuum the place

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

🙂

Thanks - that's in the corner behind the TV etc so doesn't get hoovered so much!

I assumed that because Virgin Media supplied the extenders that they were required. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No. Where is the other extender as they would be in a pair as a minimum. 

0 Kudos
tinkjon
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One is behind the TV, near to where the cable comes into the set-top box and there is another one behind the main desktop computer next to where the cable plugs into the Hub. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Time to get better wireless with your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------