Menu
mfb1977
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 wifi slow download fast upload

Hi, 

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times, but to be honest I can't be bothered to wade through the arguments between users and technical talk I don't understand. 🙈😁😉

I have just had VM broadband installed with the hub 3 (I think), up until this evening I was very happy with it, but with 2 small problems. On all but one of my devices I generally get around 470-500 meg download and 40 up 👍

Problem one, on my galaxy S20+ my speed seems to get limited to 40meg after a while,then when I disconnect then reconnect it goes back up to 400+ , is there a way I can prevent this? Its getting annoying 😬🔫 

Problem 2. I have a lenovo yoga running Windows 10. My download speed is approx 0.05meg yet my upload is 40+, so my laptop is basically unusable on the Internet at the moment. The 1st thing I tried was to set up a guest network and connect to that, same problem. 

I have searched the forum for an answer but can't really find anything. 

My connected devices are, (but not all at the same time)

3 mobile phones

2 tablets 

1 fire tv

1 echo 

5 light switches 

2 sockets 

2 TV's but 1 is wired

1 XBOX

1 AV amp

I have just swapped from skyQ , the broadband was shocking , but I never had a problem with a device being restricted like my laptop is.

Can anyone explain in layman's terms why my laptop download speed is so bad, is it a problem with the hub? Everything else works fine 👌

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 wifi slow download fast upload

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
mfb1977
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can't wire to the hub, there is no ethernet  port on my laptop (I think 🤔)

Also, its only this hub that I have a problem with. 

0 Kudos
mfb1977
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

this is so frustrating, if this is not resolved by tomorrow I am going to cancel everything. The time on hold is ridiculous!!!!!!!! I've only been with VM 3 days and already sick of customer services.

I need to call during office hours, but need to be at home to be able to fix the issue, guess where I might be during office hours?

Tags (1)
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed.

Only the speed and connection to your hub and wired speeds and connectivity are. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any laptop can be connected on ethernet cable - just use an adapter for a port it does have.

You have 14 days to cancel without financial penalty - but that will need to be done on the phone too. Calling at 08.00 gives the best chance of getting through - follow prompts to "thinking of leaving"

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mfb1977
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1 month to go and I'm off 😁.

VM has THE WORST customer service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I've lost count of the times the Internet has gone down, this is not great when all your smart devices don't work.

See ya later VM 🖕