Menu
Highlighted
reynoldsjp1347
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Will a Super Hub 3 improve wifi performance

We have a super hub 2 and have some areas of the house with poor reception. We've tried to improve it by moving the router and boosting the signal but not fully successfully. Would changing to a SH3 router improve the position, or is performance similar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will a Super Hub 3 improve wifi performance

Hello

Changing to hub 3 may improve the signal, but more than likely wouldn't make much difference.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have an SH2 - but have always had it in modem mode with my own wireless router and access points and have had excellent wifi coverage all over the house for many years. You could consider that as an option.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andruser
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 3 is not any more powerful than a Superhub 2 (the power levels are mandated by the international standards for wifi, so the nominal power is the same for all domestic routers).  There are some tricks manufacturers can employ to improve wifi range, primarily by using more and/or directional aerials.  I think the Hub 3 has more internal antenna than the SH2, but they're still the tiny fixed, internal aerials, so the perceivable difference between Hub 3 and SH2 is very low indeed. 

As a cable modem, the Hub 3 is better than the SH2, so if being offered one for no additional charge and no new contract lock-in, then I'd recommend you have one, but don't expect the wifi to be better. 

Options for improving wifi:

1) You can buy a new standalone premium grade router to replace that of the VM hub, and whilst this will do a better job in many ways that the vary basic Hub 3, as noted above you're reliant on the designers to do a better job of signal propagation with the same amount of power.  This can be an expensive option in the £130-200 ballpark. 

2) Buy (or try and bludgeon VM to give you) a wifi extender that plugs into the electrical sockets.  Don't pay for the VM wifi extenders - the pricing is poor value.  Wifi extenders can be bought cheaply, and can work OK, but some rely on the two sockets you're using to be on the same circuit, others only require one plug socket and installed at some "halfway point" where there's still an adequate wifi signal from your hub which the unit then re-broadcasts.  Personally I'm biased here, and rate all forms of powerline networks and wifi extenders as inferior cludges, but many people are happy with the results.

3) Splash out on a mesh wifi system appropriate to your needs.  There's varying costs and levels of complexity - best value seems to be the Tenda Nova MW3, which is offered as a three-pack for £59 by Amazon, but I must admit that I haven't tried this myself.  

4) Run an ethernet cable from the hub to a suitable location for a wireless access point (you'd probably buy a low cost router for £30-40 like the Archer C50) and configure that as an access point.  That'll give you better wifi where you want, and also you can plug ethernet cables from your devices into the access point.  The key challenge for this solution is discretely running an ethernet cable between the two locations.

5) Switch ISP to a competitor offering better wifi....

0 Kudos