Menu
folkbeard
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Will Fibre Broadband Solve My Bandwidth Issue

Hi, I'm considering taking out a fibre broadband contract (upgrading from standard broadband), and wonder if someone could give me some guidance on whether it'll improve and issue I'm having...

My existing standard broadband says it can operate up to 11mb/s, but because of the poor signal in the South Manchester area it's actually more like 3mb/s. This is actually fine for me working from home on my own, and I never have issues. But when my partner comes over, and there are 2 computers on the network, it'll crash one or both of us out. I guess this is because I just don't have the bandwidth to handle it?

My question is - if I get fibre broadband advertised at 108mb/s, will it really be close to that or will I still be stuck in 3mb/s and having the same issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will Fibre Broadband Solve My Bandwidth Issue

Good Afternoon

Thanks for reaching out to us and yes going for a higher download speed package will definitely improve things for you. 

Who is your current Internet Service Provider?

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you will get the speed we advertise. Our minimum is 100meg, raising to 1000meg in some areas.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes you will (should!) get the bandwidth advertised on ethernet cable connected devices. Whether you can achieve that on wifi is another question 🙂

The connection you describe is useless for "modern" connections. A 4K UHD Netflix stream needs ~25Mbps, a HD stream needs about 5Mbps - per device! So going up to a 100 or greater packge should solve all of your woes.

I am in South Manchester too (Didsbury) on the 200 package and have no bandwith issues at all

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The 'official' stance on speeds:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds 

Our estimated broadband speeds

To make our broadband speeds crystal clear, we’ve set them out in a handy table. These estimated speeds apply to all new customers who buy our broadband services, and to existing customers who change their broadband services, on or after February 28th 2019.

Download Speeds                                                                              Upload Speeds
ProductAdvertised Speed*Expected Speed Range**Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed Advertised Speed*Expected Speed Range**
M5054 Mbps52 - 54 Mbps27 Mbps5 Mbps5 Mbps
M100108 Mbps108 - 111 Mbps54 Mbps10 Mbps10 Mbps
M200213 Mbps209 - 218 Mbps107 Mbps20 Mbps20 - 21 Mbps
M350362 Mbps350 - 380 Mbps181 Mbps35 Mbps34 - 37 Mbps
M500516 Mbps463 - 545 Mbps258 Mbps36 Mbps35 - 37 Mbps
M600636 Mbps510 - 647 Mbps318 Mbps41 Mbps38 - 42 Mbps
Gig1 Fibre Broadband1140 Mbps1120 - 1140 Mbps570 Mbps52 Mbps48 - 52 Mbps

* The advertised download and upload speeds for our Virgin Fibre packages are calculated by taking the median average, or the mid-point between the fastest and slowest speeds for each package at peak times (8-10pm), each month. This is in line with the Advertising Standards Authority’s (ASA) guidance.

** The expected speed range is the normal download and upload speed that you could expect at peak times (8-10pm, Monday-Sunday). This is in line with Ofcom’s guidance.

Our advertised speeds

The advertised download and upload speeds for our broadband packages are average speeds, calculated by taking the mid-point between the fastest and slowest speeds for each package at peak times (8-10pm). We’ve done this in line with the Advertising Standards Authority’s (ASA) guidance.

As these are average speeds, they’re not guaranteed.

0 Kudos
folkbeard
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the help everyone. Some really useful information here 🙂

0 Kudos