Menu
Aaronjay23
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wifi

I do an advanced wifi connection search on my Xbox and it sits at around 200Mbps wireless but it drops and goes up constantly, which results in lag during games every so often. I’ve tried an Ethernet cable but it sits at 50Mbps so where has the other 150 Mbps gone? My games also download at 6/7 Mbps but I’m getting around 200, just so confused on the issue and what to do to resolve this.

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi

Have you tried a different ethernet cable. Cat5e or Cat6
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Aaronjay23

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm really sorry that you're having issues at the moment with your internet connection via WiFi and wired methods. I have looked into your account and cannot see any issues that would be causing the problems that you're having.

Does this happen all the time or at certain times of day such as late afternoon/early evening?

Would you be able to setup a broadband quality monitor using this site https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and post your results on here in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Aaronjay23
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s been happening for years, even with the new hub 3, its probably a drop off in the bedroom compared to where the router is. When I’m using my pc in the other room it doesn’t lag and if it does, I just restart the router and it’s all fine (I know that’s wired) where as my Xbox in the bedroom lags 1/2 times every 20/30 minutes, I’ve tried wired connection but my MBPS drops over 150 which surely can’t be correct.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @Aaronjay23, would you be ok to create the BQM and let it run for 24 hours and report back to us, this can help us get a better understanding of what it is going on with your connection.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Aaronjay23
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/07dc1af3613ab5950aa498514496c2276c44b182-01-04-2021

I wasn’t at home yesterday during the day so I’m unsure how reliable it is, but this was run for 24 hours 

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Arronjay23

Thank you for your reply and for providing the BQM. 

During the day looks pretty good but I can see some spikes in latency after 6pm, were you using the service around this time?

This would be peak times for the service so we would expect heavy usage. 

Thanks

Nat 

Nat
0 Kudos
Aaronjay23
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I wasn’t at home during that time. Wired connection sits at 40MBPS, wireless sits at like 250-300 Mbps? I’m so confused on what I’m meant to do to stop the lag when I’m getting no packet loss and my ping doesn’t go that high.

0 Kudos
Aaronjay23
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No, are these meant to be a lot better? I’ve got my Ethernet cables connected to a plug, so plug to router, plug to pc/xbox

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thats about as good as you will get from 'plugs' You need to wire direct or get a decent mesh / router or access point
0 Kudos