Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi won't reach end of garden

My home office is at the end of my garden (60-70 metres). Its on a separate power supply from the house.  How can I get broadband to reach. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi won't reach end of garden

Run a long Ethernet cable down do it from the hub and attach to an AP at the other end 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The best solution is too run Outdoor Cat 6 cable or above from your router to the home office and then place a wireless access point at the end of the cable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Run an external Ethernet cable to your home office. It mi...

Run an external Ethernet cable to your home office. It might involve drilling a hole in the wall, but its cheap, secure, fast and full speed. (Ideal for video conferencing), you might get away with a Unifi LR Access Point but it will never be as good as wired.  At the Office end, a cheap gigabit switch will give you 4, 5 or 8 ports. one for your computer, printer, wifi access point etc.  Suggested access point would be this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=32... 

Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Tronic-Ethernet-Network-Weatherproof-Black/dp/B0816GP5FC/ref=sr_1_6?dchi...

When you say 70 Metres, is that from the Router? Would it be within a 100 metre range is you ran the cable? If its more than 100 Metres then you may be looking at a different solution. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Run an external Ethernet cable to your home office. It mi...

Or a combined switch+access point like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AC2000-Wireless-Access-WAC124-100UKS/dp/B01N47QKDQ/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have had experience of lighting strikes to overhead cables taking out sensitive equipment. So initially I resolved my problem  using a pair of Microtik SXT 5AC in a point to point bridge. That gave me about 700Mb

I now use OM3 outdoor fibre to run 10Gb to the home office