Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi woes

So i recently got a ring door cam but my wifi signal from my hub3 for 2.4 band seems pretty terrible (RSSi -64). Is it worth getting a wifi extender or a powerline extender and if so any sugestions on brand/model?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi woes

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I was looking at doing just that and possibly getting the netgear nighthawk xr500 after a few websites said it was pretty good but not sure about the whole 'pro gaming' is it really worth the amount it costs or is there something similar cheaper?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Any mid to high range ASUS will do

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Or someone i know suggested the NETGEAR R6400 or R7000 which are cheaper..

My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's come down to either the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 or Asus RT-AC86U both are around the price i have avilable atm but seem quite old both being released around 2013/14 i think i read. Any feedback would be appreciated as i've not had much experience outside isp routers. Also which has the better 2.4ghz connection as i've read a few routers out there have issues with speed or range. Thanks in advance.

My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Before deciding take a look at Mesh systems. Their advantage is that if all "wifi blackspots" aren't sorted - you can simply add in other units.

The wifi routers you suggest are good - and they may well sort your wifi issues - but then again - they may not. You wont know till you try it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's only a small apartment so i think a mesh system would be kind of overkill. I'm leaning more towards the Asus but i've had bad experiences with them in the past for warrenty claims albeit pc components not routers.

My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is that BQM a live graph?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It was it's currently disabled as a friend is letting me try out his netgear router today before i go and buy one or the Asus.

My Broadband Ping - Asus
0 Kudos