Menu
MartinB1977
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wifi upstairs

Good afternoon

I have tried phoning Virgin, but I keep ending up back at square one and can't speak to anyone, which I understand given the current predicament. I do however have an issue I would like resolving, given the money i'm paying each month. 

Basically our Wifi is working at around 10% upstairs. I am on the M350 using Hub 3. Downstairs is fine and connections are strong. This has been going on since just after Christmas. The light on my hub is a yellowish colour. I have looked at current topics and other lines on Google, and it is unclear if this is an actual colour, or if the LED has gone funny. Either way, the wifi upstairs is not working and I would like a team member to contact me please to arrange an engineer to have a look. I can't see why it would all of a sudden stop working.

I have tried all the usual tricks a dozen or more times. 

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi upstairs

In honesty - I'd get my own router and use the hub in modem mode! - The hubs are pretty poor as routers!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They won't send engineers out for wifi issues.

If the speeds are fine in the same room as the hub and with a wired connection then there is no fault to attend to.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MartinB1977
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Surely if the signal strength has stopped working, that is a fault? Up to when the problem occurred the wifi strength was excellent all throughout the house, even when many devices connected. But for whatever reason after Christmas is stopped working upstairs. It is frustrating not being able to explain this to someone over the phone, and i've used coming on here as a last resort to getting the issue resolved.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM hardware is not that good for wifi and stops working over time you can try and ask for a new hub but they would really like you to buy into their pods.

I think they made the wifi bad and only good for the pods when you connect them. Why give in to VM when you can buy your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could be any number of reasons why it's weaker upstairs.

What optimisation have you done yourself on the hub to improve it?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
MartinB1977
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just the usual. Rebooted it, reset it etc. I'm a builder so the tech side of it is foreign to me. The fact still remains though that from when it was installed in 2019 up to Christmas 2020, it was working fine. I even had good reception in the loft. But since then it is not working correctly. Yesterday I even lost wifi as close as the kitchen, which is about 15ft away. That, to me, represents an issue and a fault, but no matter what I try I cannot speak to a person and the self-diagnosis just goes round and round. I am paying £54 for something that isn't working. The next step is to stop the direct debit and wait for them to contact me, by which time i'll be long gone to another provider. It should not be this difficult to sort this out, or even just talk to someone. Yet it is.

I ask again, can a team member please respond?!

0 Kudos
sophist
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MartinB1977 wrote:

Just the usual. Rebooted it, reset it etc. I'm a builder so the tech side of it is foreign to me. The fact still remains though that from when it was installed in 2019 up to Christmas 2020, it was working fine. I even had good reception in the loft. But since then it is not working correctly. Yesterday I even lost wifi as close as the kitchen, which is about 15ft away. That, to me, represents an issue and a fault, but no matter what I try I cannot speak to a person and the self-diagnosis just goes round and round. I am paying £54 for something that isn't working. The next step is to stop the direct debit and wait for them to contact me, by which time i'll be long gone to another provider. It should not be this difficult to sort this out, or even just talk to someone. Yet it is.

whilst it's attractive to stop the DD i'd advise against it. They won't contact you and ask you why / get the issue resolved, it will simply be passed to the collections team and you'll start getting defaults on your credit file which will only harm you in the long run.

around feb this year, VM rolled out an update to the hub and sent a marketing email about "intelligent wifi" - this caused issues for a lot of users and it seems that some people have resolved/improved the situation by disabling channel optimisation in the advanced -> smart wifi area of the hubs admin pages.. you could start by doing that and seeing if there's any improvement..

if there's a genuine fault with your hub, VM will replace it, but unfortunately, if it's solely a problem with wifi, you may struggle to convince them that you need a replacement as they don't actually contract with you to provide a wifi service.. they contract with you to provide wired internet service (devil in the detail, as always) so they are holding up their end of the bargain..  

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MartinB1977 wrote:

If a wired connection is working then you’re getting what you pay for - wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t included in this per your contract. 

Cancelling your direct debit will lead to your account being closed and passed to a collections agency and your account marked as defaulted for the next 6 years. 

A forum rep will respond in 5-10 days (average). Don’t bump your thread either. 

Also rebooting and resetting is not optimising. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @MartinB1977

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you've had some issues with your WiFi recently. 

Our forums are here to help and support each other - it is peer to peer in the first instance and our Community are here to help our customers with their wealth of knowledge and expertise. A staff response is not guaranteed. 

You advise the WiFi is not working upstairs. Can you elaborate on what you mean? Is it speed issues or connection problems? 

I have located your account from your forum information and can see that you last rebooted around 3 days ago; all your signal levels are looking to be within the parameters we would expect for your package and equipment and no errors are showing. 

On the WiFi side of things, we can see that a couple of devices are a bit too close to the hub which may be causing interference with other devices in the home. These devices would be best either moved away from the Hub or connected via Ethernet if possible. 

We can see that you are impacted by an intermittent connection issue called Congestion. However, as you advise your issue is only your upstairs WiFi it is not likely to be linked or you would also have experienced the issue on your wired connections at the same time. The issue has been logged under reference number F008217807 and the estimated fix date is currently 31st May. 

As other users have advised, we would not recommend cancelling your Direct Debit to resolve an issue. If you do cancel it, please ensure you have an alternative method of payment ready to avoid any late payment fees or account restriction. Any missed payments could impact your credit file and remain as a default for 6 years. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide