forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Laurance
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi too weak

HELP!
I cannot get through to anyone via the web site or phone which has an engaged signal.
My current set up is M350 Fibre Broadband.Which I was assured was the best.  But I don't think it is.

In my house there are 4 adults all using 2 devices each for wifi. I also have a NowTV box which runs through Wifi. Plus a Tivo box and a V6 box and Maxit TV. 
Is anyone able to advise me if I can get a service that will accommodate all of the above, even if it costs more? 
HELP?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi too weak

Put the hub into modem mode and use your own better router or mesh system 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Laurance
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary many thanks for your swift response.
Unfortunately it wasn't the kind of answer I was looking for. As I mentioned in my house there are 4 adults all using 2 devices each for wifi. I also have a NowTV box which runs through Wifi. Plus a Tivo box and a V6 box and Maxit TV.
Should I disconnect some of the above devices from Wifi, or do you know if is there a higher more expensive/powerful rate that Virgin can offer me? 

Regards,

Laurance

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So what the problem with getting a better wireless router?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Increasing your speed won't increase the hubs poor wifi output.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Laurance
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro, many thanks for your response. I could get a new router but I think I also need to have Virgin increase the broadband into my house?

0 Kudos
Laurance
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again so would it be ok to just buy a non Virgin router and fix it up to receive the Virgin signal?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You buy a wireless router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Laurance wrote:

Hi again so would it be ok to just buy a non Virgin router and fix it up to receive the Virgin signal?

Its a bit more complicated but essentially its straightforward.  See these comments I have posted before then post back for more advice

EDIT: As an example this is an excellent starter Mesh system

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m4/

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/whole-home-wi-fi-systems/tp-link-deco...

Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either..... (1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion all will easily support the users you have.

Good options for Access points are from Ubiquiti, (routers also) and also, from these companies - for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems: Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Laurance
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok many thanks I'll check it out

0 Kudos