cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed 1m from hub3

shk53
On our wavelength

I recently checked my Mother in Laws newly installed VM box wifi speed and was gobsmacked at getting nearly 100Mbps, a wifi speed some 3m away, a single phone connected to her wifi that I was holding.  I have a twin ariel WAP installed in my LAN { using a 1000Mbps network card} and it has been on a timer for some years now for a number of reasons - and my wifi on my hub 3 box disabled for a few years now {wifi drops outs I was sick of and the location of the hub is not the best tbf}. My eldest daughter also with VM gets 80 - 90Mbps in her house. I did not think till now that these speeds were possible on WiFi.

So, I only get 25-35Mbps 1m from my twin arieled WAP so I have done some investigations. Unplugged WAP, re-instated VM hub wifi - still 25-35MBps average result. Disconnected cable to my LAN switch from my hub, still same. Disabled Wifi on VM hub, plugged WAP into VM hub so that is the ONLY device plugged into it - speed still same. My speed checks are using two different speed checker site {one that VM recommend} and I run several tests, always 1m away from wifi hub or WAP. I have tried a fixed channel wifi selection on my WAP {I have the Wifi channel app on my phone} which is more reliable but does not increase the speed, and I have gone back to auto channel selection.  My ethernet speed via cable to my PC is a little down recently but is still 100 - 130Mbps. Cables tight into VM hub and wall box, VM box rebooted. My WAP has a fixed IP address so I can easily go into the admin etc. I am on a 200Mbps connection.

Why is my Wifi stuck at the 30Mbps average ish speed 1m from my WAP or VM hub? Even late at night its this same speed. It is useable but would be nice to get a higher speed  say 50 or 60Mbps and that way my booster which is half way down my garden would see more speed and would boost to my cabin better which is at the bottom of my garden. I have thought about putting VM hub into modem mode, my devices are 2.4GHz only.

Advice appreciated....

20 REPLIES 20

shk53
On our wavelength

Due to interference or/and limits of my WAP {see previous threads} I am thinking of upgrading my WAP. 

TP-Link AC1350 Wireless Access Point or 

Ubiquiti Networks UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps

Obv the second one would be better no doubt but is it really worth twice the money? I would be happy with twice the speed I have now {30Mbps even 1m away from WAP}. So 60Mbps+ I would be happy with.

Thanks,