cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi signal inconsistent

MarkNicholls
Joining in

I have a HUB3 router which is giving intermittent signal strength.

One moment I can have 75% strength, the next as little as 25% or no internet at all.

I have performed a hard reset as suggested after a call to Virgin Media but this has made no difference.

It seems to me as though this router has reached the need of it's life and I need a replacement.

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the dropout issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MarkNicholls

Apologies that you have had to post on here regarding your hub 

I can see you have called and were asked to perform a pinhole reset 

Have you been able to do this? 

If so has it improved the service

Gareth_L

Hi, yes I have done a HARD reset and this has made no difference.  The wifi signal can go from strong to no internet and back to strong within a minute

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MarkNicholls,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue. Can you tell us if this issue is only present on WiFi connections?

Do you have any issues with wired connections within your home?

I was able to locate your account and at the moment, there are no area issues that could be impacting your service. I was also able to check your power levels, and they all look great and within spec.

Would you be able to set up a BQM chart to keep an eye on your connection? This can help us see where the issue is.

Looking into our Connect App can also be helpful to scan your home for any WiFi black spots.

Please give this a try and let us know how you get on.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have not checked if the Heating System or Tivo have any issues when this happens.

I do not think it is a blackspot issue as the wifi signal goes from strong to weak (or no internet) and back.  If it was a blackspot I would expect a weak signal all the time.

I will give BQM a try but I do think I need a replacement router.

Mark

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @MarkNicholls,

I understand.

Please let up a BQM and monitor your connection for the next 24hrs. We will be more than happy to look into this further when we can see your data from the BQM.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Please find here direct link to BQM for past 24 hours

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8a3135362d8a5747e276cab2fb3c34f178025b97

Mark

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That's one of the "cleanest" BQM's I have ever seen. No issues showing on the connection on that one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi,

So in your 'humble' opinion, the fact that the wifi signal keeps fluctuating is that possibly due to the router and a replacement may resolve this?

Mark