Menu
SR74
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wifi pod order

Hi

can someone please urgently contact me to order 2 Virgin wifi pods. My 5 children are home schooling due to COVID and cannot connect to the wifi due to poor single in bedrooms. 
I urgently need to boost the signal as they are not able to join video teaching and are starting to fall behind in critical learning and also GCSE course work. 

I have tried to phone many times over the last 24 hours but the cust service line just hangs up after waiting for a long period of time. 

thank you for your help in advance. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi pod order

As convenient as that would be, unfortunately, it doesn't work like that 😕

You'll have to call them to request them.. best time to do that is 08:00 mon-sat or 09:00 on Sundays when lines open and queues should be a bit shorter.

It's worth noting that the pods are only free for customers on the gig package or an "Ultimate Oomph" package.. if that's not you, you'll have to pay £5 per month - i also believe that they only send out one at a time and ask you to test before supplying a second.

If you're not eligible for a free one, you might want to consider investing in your own network equipment - cheaper in the long run and likely to be a better solution.. 

0 Kudos
SR74
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you for the reply

I have the correct bundle etc and have been recommended the solution via a virgin technician. 
I have called 10 times in office hours.  Each time the call is either disconnected whilst waiting or I get a recorded message sending me on-line. 

I have gone on-line and the advice on the website suggests calling 150 and speaking to agent. 

see that issue I have ?

any advice or a DM from a virgin advisor would be most helpful otherwise. Fear another 10, 20 or even 100 calls won’t get me to speak with the right team. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@SR74 wrote:

see that issue I have ?

... speak with the right team. 

yeah a lot of the complaints here are about the inability to contact VM by phone - welcome to being a valued customer 🙂

As for the right team - anecdotally, the helldesk is unable to place orders for the pods when you call in so you need to be transferred to the tech teams (double-hold queue, sounds fun). 

The alternative is that you visit your favourite electrical retailer's website and order a system that would be with you before the weekend is out and fix the problem yourself - guess it depends how much you value your time and sanity! 🙂

0 Kudos
SR74
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Any recommendations for a non virgin pod solution?

I have tried a booster that works on the electricity ring main, how ever my issue is upstairs and I have 4 separate electric mains circuits in the house. and so this is a non starter. 

the pod solution sound like it will work however I would love a product recco if you have one,  thanks again  

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TP-Link Deco is well-reviewed around here. M4 at the lower end (£100-150) M5 is the next step up (£180-240) and M9 is the premium (£400 or so). select the one that meets the size of your property and the volume of devices connecting etc..

Asus also seem to get a good write up, and the Netgear Orbi range is also, I believe, pretty good.

If you do go with a non-virgin solution, you'll also need to configure the VM hub to work in modem mode, this is straightforward but needs to be done in a specific sequence..

If you do decide to buy your own, come back here and people can help guide you through the setup if you need it...