Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi performance on Virgin Hub 3.0

Hi,

I have various frustrations with the Virgin Hub 3.0. Wifi seems to be the main one at the moment. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the performance of the Wifi versus third party routers. Ive been looking for details on performance over distance compared to 3rd party routers to no avail. What i really want to know is if i buy a half descent 3rd party router and put the hub in modem mode, will I likely have better wifi range. Or should i just buy a wifi extender instead?

any information welcome, thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi performance on Virgin Hub 3.0

A Router or Mesh System is the way to go and will give you far superior Wi-Fi range compared to the Hub 3.

BUT

They will not fix speed issues that are caused by the WAN side line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Internet speed is fine. I just get terrible signal at the back end of my house. I would rather get a router as it will solve other issues I have such as port forwarding etc. But I want to know if that will make a significant improvement to the WiFi signal distance / strength. Thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You have to look at the environmental obstructions as well as the strength of the Router / Mesh System.

As an example a wall sized fish tank will have a massive effect on Wi-Fi strength because radio signals cannot pass through water. There are many things that can ruin a perfectly good Wi-Fi signal, so ensure that you look at your home and do some research.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Right. Will do. Not sure how to find comparisons to the virgin hub. Loads of comparisons for 3rd party routers. My house is old and has pretty thick walls, wifi is pretty dire with hub 3, was hoping I could make it better. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can make it better with a mesh system or another router

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As Gary says a Mesh system may be the better option. The first unit becomes your router so see if the ones you like have the functionality you need. The other plus is that you can then add 1/2/3 extra units to extend coverage. Although extra units can "slow things down" but that not may actually matter if its delivers sufficient bandwith to the area.

However the "best" way to do it is to get a new wifi router that does the job and then connect as many wireless access points as you need, directly to the Hub by Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cables. It does rely on you being able to run those cables conveniently to the distant location(s) of course.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos