Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi password

Got my hub 4 yesterday. 

Started to reconnect all my smart devices and I have a problem , my smart switches from sonoff wont connect I have since found out that it could be the wifi password . 

The hub 4 wants a 10 digit password where as ewelink app will only accept an 8 digit password 

My question is there any way I can put an 8 digit password on one of the SSID's ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi password

You might want to get some better kit if it only accepts 8 character passwords 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pretty sure that's not in spec for either WPA or WPA2. Both standards allow passwords with characters much longer than either 8 or 10 characters

I think it's up to 63 for WPA and WPA2
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Never had a problem when I had virgin before then BT then TalkTalk . As all the passwords were 8 characters.  This problem has only came to light with the new hub 4 asking for a 10 character password 🤷‍♂️ instead of me being able to use an 8 character one 

I have emailed the app/manufacturer of the switches to see if there is a way round this . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@relix wrote:

Never had a problem when I had virgin before then BT then TalkTalk . As all the passwords were 8 characters.  This problem has only came to light with the new hub 4 asking for a 10 character password 🤷‍♂️ instead of me being able to use an 8 character one 

I have emailed the app/manufacturer of the switches to see if there is a way round this . 

Considering the HUB 3 default key length is 12 characters I'm unsure how it used to work, unless you are referring to older HUBs?

Also it appears you must split the SSID into two to prevent connectivity issues (See section 2):

https://help.ewelink.cc/hc/en-us/articles/360038256611-Pairing-failed-Read-this-before-you-try-again 

0 Kudos