cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not valid IP Configuration

glenhill68
Joining in

Hi. I have been with Virgin 2-3 months now and keep having an issue with my laptop where it doesn't have an IP address assigned. When I run the troubleshooter it says wifi has no valid IP configuration. I try all sorts of things including reboots and resets, release/renew ip and flushdns and eventually I get an IP address on the laptop from the hub 3. I have looked at the DHCP settings in the hub and it shows the laptop with an IP address. If I add this as a static IP address it then comes up on the [laptop that I havea duplicate IP.

I was with BT for years ebfore and never had this issue before.

Any ideas please as It is driving me mad?

18 REPLIES 18

Yes. If you assign a static IP on a device, the HUB's DHCP server may try to assign the same IP address to another device. You need to configure the DHCP server's range of IPs.

You need to make sure any static IP addresses you set are outside the range of the DHCP server. At the top of the DHCP settings, there are options for setting the range of IP addresses available for DHCP.

For example If you enter 50 for the starting IP and set a CPE limit of 50. then the hub will assign IP addresses between 192.168.0.50 and 192.168.0.100 to devices which request an Automatic IP. IP addresses 192.168.0.1 to .49 and 101 to 254 will be left free for manual assigning.

Personally I would set up the ranges to stop the hub assigning an IP address it shouldn't assign. To reduce any chances of future IP conflicts.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@asim18 wrote:

...set a CPE limit of 50....

if only....😋

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply.

They start at 10 and u have set CPE to 215 taking to 225. The home laptop has static IP of 250. I notice the desktop pc has 241 currently assigned, will this get assigned a new IP now?

No other other device should get 250 assigned and the laptop will use that to connect to the hub?

I'm not sure exactly how the HUB's DHCP settings behave because they have worded it a bit weird.

If the start is 10, then it is guaranteed that the first 8 addresses will never be assigned automatically to any device.

But if you set the CPE limit to 215, I'm not 100% sure if HUB will stop at 225. No other device should get 250, but the way Virgin Media has worded it in the settings page is unconventional and leaves me with some doubt. It might be better if you keep the manual addresses before the starting number, rather than guessing and choosing one after the end of the range.

If you have any problems in future just reset using an IP address "before" the DHCP range such as 192.168.0.8, rather than aiming for one "after" it. You can shift the start from 10 to 20 if you need more manual IP addresses, but almost all devices should have no problems getting automatic IP addresses you should never have to worry about setting static IPs again. If all your devices start having issues with automatic IP addressing then there is a problem with the HUB itself.

Thanks for that.

The highest IP in the Reserved IP Address list is 180, most are 11-23, and my laptop that was having the issue isn't listed but has 250 assigned and is connected to wifi fine.

Hopefully the issue is resolved but will monitor for the next couple of weeks.

Hi @glenhill68,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am sorry to hear that you've had some Wi-Fi issues lately, but it's great to know that this has now improved. Please do let us know if there's anything more we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi. Thanks for that. After sorting the extender and the help in here all seems good.

Kallor
On our wavelength

Been battling the same issue all day not valid IP Configuration but on a windows desktop ethernet connection i was contemplating the horror of a full windows reinstall should have looked here sooner the above solution worked instantly cheers 🙂

Ashley37
Joining in

Hello, the issue you are dealing with here is that WiFi doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. We ope that the method here will help you to deal with wifi doesn't have valid ip configuration easily, so have a look. At times, this error can be sorted out by setting the channel width to auto. To do that, you need to follow these steps. At the start, tap Windows Key + X and choose the option of Network Connections from the menu. Now right-click your wireless connection and select the option that states Properties. Then press the option of Configure and go to the Advanced tab, search for 802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 and set it to Auto. In the end, press the option of OK to save changes.