cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not valid IP Configuration

glenhill68
Joining in

Hi. I have been with Virgin 2-3 months now and keep having an issue with my laptop where it doesn't have an IP address assigned. When I run the troubleshooter it says wifi has no valid IP configuration. I try all sorts of things including reboots and resets, release/renew ip and flushdns and eventually I get an IP address on the laptop from the hub 3. I have looked at the DHCP settings in the hub and it shows the laptop with an IP address. If I add this as a static IP address it then comes up on the [laptop that I havea duplicate IP.

I was with BT for years ebfore and never had this issue before.

Any ideas please as It is driving me mad?

18 REPLIES 18

asim18
Fibre optic

You can try assigning a static IP on the laptop itself instead of assigning it on the Hub.

First, delete the IP reservation from the HUB.

Get to your Wifi settings on the laptop and change IP config from Auto to manual. Google "windows 10 manual ip config" if you have windows 10.

Then use the following numbers:

IP address 192.168.0.250
Subnet prefix length: 24
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS1: 194.168.4.100
DNS2: 194.168.8.100

Disable IPv6

And see how you get on.

Hi. 

Thanks for the reply. I have tried just setting the static IP on the laptop but the same issue occurs. It usually when i apply changes in the DHCP settings i sometimes get an IP on the laptop.

I forgot to say if I assign an IP on the laptop won't the one in the DHCP settings on the Hub have a different one showing for the laptop? One alays shows in the settings of the hub but the laptop will show no IP address,

No. If you assign a manual IP on the laptop itself (not through the HUB's DHCP page), the HUB will not show the device in the advanced DHCP list but it will show in the main "connected devices" list. Any devices which have a manual IP address set on the device itself will bypass the DHCP server of the HUB.

If using manual IP on any device, you need to make sure the reservation for that device in the HUB's DHCP is deleted, (right at the bottom under DHCP settings). Otherwise this will create a conflict.

If using the HUB's built in DHCP reservation system to reserve an IP for a device, you need to make sure those devices are set to Automatic IP address in the device's settings, never manual.

I tried setting a static IP address on my work laptop, having the same issue, and in ipconfig/all it shows the IP address but with duplicate in brackets.

Also, the laptops have IP addresses in DHCP setting under reserved IP address, not the reserved list at the bottom. Won't this be an issue as they will be different if I assign a static IP?

Do you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains?

are you just using the hub no other routers or things doing DHCP?

reset hub
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I had a tp link extender in the hall upstairs that then also extended to another tp link in the loft for a CCTV DVR. I have reset the hall one and tethered it to the hub and then reached it with the one in the loft which connects to the DVR wired.

At the moment all seems well, the home laptop has a static IP as suggested earlier and I have restarted it a few times and it connects.

It looks like the issue was the extender(s) and resetting it and only using the one has fixed it, fingers crossed😀

Not sure how the extender(s) were causing the prroblem but hopefuuly it is resolved, woill monitor this week.

By setting the static IP on the laptop will the DHCP on the hub evert try and assign the same IP to a device?