Menu
SuziJ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wifi not reaching bedrooms

Joined virgin media on 19th dec and it seems I'm not getting very good signal on the back rooms in my house. This is upstairs and at the back of my kitchen. Using your app and doing the wifi test it is showing blackspots.

I have 100mb only with no TV or phone!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi not reaching bedrooms

Install a better router or mesh system

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SuziJ
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I het what you're saying but I haven't paid to have wifi in one room only! It's a Virgin problem. I'm in a small house, if it doesn't reach then they should make sure it does!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You haven’t paid for Wifi at all actually.

You contract and the speeds and connectivity associated apply to wired speeds only.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SuziJ
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well if that's the case the 'amazing' wifi it was sold as isn't there!

It's not like I've got a shed at the bottom of the garden. It's a small house with plaster walls. You'd expect it would reach. I guess it's my fault for believing it would be ok!

So what's my best option for getting it round the house? Ethernet it all isn't really an option. People mention having my own router or mesh. What would be a reasonable price for this?

0 Kudos
WingnutNZ
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tp-link ac1750 (approx £70) on Amazon - switch to modem mode

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@SuziJ wrote:

It's not like I've got a shed at the bottom of the garden. It's a small house with plaster walls. You'd expect it would reach. I guess it's my fault for believing it would be ok!

So what's my best option for getting it round the house? Ethernet it all isn't really an option. People mention having my own router or mesh. What would be a reasonable price for this?

“reasonable” is subjective 🙂

you can spend anything from £50 to several hundreds..  given what you say about your house, you can probably get away with a single router rather than needing a full mesh system - you could check out something like this, or this, depending on budget.. alternatively, you could go with a fully fledged mesh system like this.. 

g0akc
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@SuziJ wrote:

The Virgin Hubs are not good Wi-Fi performers, despite whatever clever advertising has lead you to believe - specific marketing claims such 'as best UK provider Wi-Fi' are supposed to be backed up with evidence such as test reports but 'Amazing Wi-Fi' is simply subjective - it would mean different things to different people. You could look at raising a complaint, through to CISAS if necessary, but I don't know how far that will get you.

For a small house a better router should suffice, as already said.  A two 'box' mesh system is an option but will cost more.  VM have some products that they will rent you you, but you are likely better off buying your own.

You could save money by buying secondhand etc. including using an old hub from BT or similar, but it would need a bit more setting up. Probably more hassle for you.

I would start by seeing if you can improve the range of the hub through a few simple steps;

• Repositioning/re-orientation of the hub
  • Changing channel (avoid overlap - keep to 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4GHz)
  • Splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands
  • A Wi-Fi survey using a a scanning app - useful to see if a neighbouring hub is interfering, signal strength before and after in different rooms and best channels to use

You can optimise your Virgin Hub, or a better router, in this way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

to add to the post above as well as splitting the wifi bands turn off smart wifi

Tony
SuziJ
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys. My Dad will pop up and gave a look tomorrow.  I don't mind about £100 as long as it works. I'll get him to try a few different things on the hub first!

0 Kudos