Menu
RachellSmith
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi not reaching all rooms

Hi. We have recently moved into our new home. Virgin was installed at the start of jam but as we’ve only moved in this week we’re only now discovering problems with our connections. 
the wifi is very weak upstairs and the tv with the second virgin box often stutters until we shut the main box down then restart everything. This is very quickly becoming extremely frustrating. 
hope you can help. I think an engineer needs to come back out now that we are living in the house . We are signed up for the top full package of tv and broadband etc

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi not reaching all rooms

How big and old is the house. Wifi can be block by a number of ways.

Plus the SH has a weak Wifi signal at best.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

if you’re on the ultimate oomph or gig 1 package then you can get a “wifi pod” for free from virgin to improve the wireless signal in your house.. they are currently out of stock, but you can register your interest here

if you are not eligible for a free one then they cost £5 per month and are, imho, poor value - you would do better to purchase your own wifi router/mesh system.

wifi from the hub is poor, you might well think that VM should supply something that is fit for purpose, but they make no guarantees about wifi performance in their contracts - so if everything works well when connected to the hub via ethernet then your options are pretty much limited to teh above.. 

sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is the latest Virgin TV advert and please observe the ending 😂🤣

It does not help Virgin with these adverts..they should just say "fastest ever" and not include Wi-Fi.

Sadly yes Wi-Fi is bad.. I struggled to get strong Wi-Fi in rear extended kitchen past 2 solid walls and son's upstairs rear bedroom until I invested in my own Wi-Fi device. The Virgin router Wi-Fi is only good if you in the same room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzu2DHtWac

sayekm_0-1613641905134.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have said this before, the whole range of SH are useless for WIFI, very weak signal.

Remember they are the basic type of router, and given away free. ALL ISPs do this.

I found that putting the SH into modem mode, and connecting my own router. Everything improved. My WIFI is fantastic.

Please dont buy into the VM marketing re the WIFI Pods, if the SH was better designed they would NOT need them.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos