Menu
Thomasina7
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi keeps mucking about

For the last three weeks the Wifi keeps mucking about. For 1 hour, every single day the wifi just disappears. I have to stop everything that I am doing, go and look at the hub 3 which is flashing the white light and has the green lights going on and off too. Nothing that can be done until Virgin deigns to remember that they are supposed to be providing internet and it comes back on. Twice it has done it twice in one day. Clearly it is completely impossible to function under these circumstances as the complaints telephone line doesn't let you through. They also don't have an email.

What are we supposed to do to make the damned thing work?

0 Kudos
Thomasina7
Settling in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi keeps mucking about

Forgot to add, service status says that is to working but obviously it is working, I can hardly check the status when the internet is down.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can, try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number – n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

That said - at what time do these "drops" occur - same time and do they also happen on devices connected on ethernet cables at the same as well as wifi ones? It may just be a wifi issue and not a network connection one.

Finally, what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this is happening?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Thomasina7
Settling in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you very much, I will try the first number when it no doubt goes down again tomorrow.

They never answer the second number, but thank-you for trying.

The three lights that go on are: the top green light which looks like two arrows, the second green light just below it (I cannot make out what it is), and the white light at the bottom. They go on and come off. If there is a pattern to it, it isn't decipherable to me.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And on ethernet cable connected devices?

If you dont know - can you check it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Thomasina7
Settling in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is that when you plug it in to the back of the computer?
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes with a Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable between the RJ45 ethernet ports on the computer and the Hub
If that remains connected and stable whilst the wifi ones drop out then your issue is most likely a wifi only one that is best sorted yourself.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Thomasina7
Settling in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you for explaining. I will show this.

If it is a WIFI problem, then how do we go about sorting it out ourselves?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lets cross that bridge when we get there 🙂

But basically, you can try tweaking some Hub settings and see if it helps.., but if not you get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos