Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi keeps dropping out

New thread as I clearly breached etiquette before, apols.

Since yesterday morning, 22nd October, our wifi keeps dropping out many times an hour.

All tests return that everything is fine, and no known issues in area.

Nothing changed here for last 6 months and been working fine, so not sure how it can be an internal issue, especially as it works fine at times.  Same issue off router, repeater, and router that is hard-wired down to end of garden.

Earlier on a Teams Call I could hear everyone saying "we've lost linda, wonder what she was going to say" but I could neither be heard nor type in the chat.  

All ideas welcomed, less so if they suggest it is internal.  Ironically I work in IT, am familiar with Kepner Tregoe methods to diagnose....I am just not technical myself. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

Have you tried a wired connection? Does that still drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As you said the wired connections are affected too (is that correct?)

Can you describe what additional kit you have connected and how - also what Hub do you have - you havent said?

Then lets start by seeing the connection data. Can you follow this protocol

-------------------------------------------
First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - but, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it there firmly for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave the Hub 10’ to stabilise.

Then post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (for SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (for a Hub3) and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page.

Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (if you get an error message you may need to click the "submit" button a second time and it should "go").

Also, in the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the live BQM (as per instructions on the TB website).

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 router installed

Power cycle - done, no change

router reset - done, no change

hardwired extension down to end of garden router - wifi from that router the same problem.  Will check hard wire Monday.

Broadband Monitor Link

Router Status will take more time, so I'll come back to that.

I am still suspicious of the amount of people expressing a similar issue and really cannot believe that something changed for each of us individually, rather that it is a common theme based on a VM change/issue.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@linda71 I am still suspicious of the amount of people expressing a similar issue and really cannot believe that something changed for each of us individually, rather that it is a common theme based on a VM change/issue.  

As a broad rule, similar problems that occur for different users occur simply because we're all using the same rather flakey DOCSIS technology.  DOCSIS is collective work of mathematical genius to cram high speed internet for hundreds of users into a radio frequency spectrum already crowded with 300 odd TV broadcasts, but unfortunately the clever techniques to achieve this make it unbelievably cranky, and make W. Heath Robinson look like a founder of minimalism.   As a result there is a "common theme" appearance, even though each problem is usually down to unique noise or power issues on that customer's connection.  Sometimes these can be area problems, where a fault with, or damage to VM equipment creates the same problem for many customers, ranging from a handful of properties to several thousand. 

Looking at your BQM trace so far I'm not seeing much other than the occasional high latency spikes that might be manifestations of a "partial service" disconnect, I would hope there's some good clues in the data that @jbrennand has asked you to post.  What he asks sounds complicated, it isn't too challenging really.  Often disconnects occur because of upstream noise issues, and that in itself isn't measured by the hub, so what we look for is to see 4 upstream channels all operating at 64 QAM, and an absence of upstream errors.  If (after you've posted the data) you keep an eye on the Upstream data, particularly around times the connection is dropping out, we might catch it in the act.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks