Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

Gary's right it may not be a lot better for wifi - but check it out first (my mate thinks its the best wifi router on the planet!). If its still not great you could try what I have posted below. If that doesnt sort it - bite the bullet and get your own wifi equipment.

----
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - ChrisD-2 & ChrisD-5) -- use the same password for both if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi keeps dropping out

Great stuff. Thanks John I'll give it a go when it arrives!
0 Kudos