cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi keeps disconnecting from box

rachel90
Joining in

The wifi is working perfectly on all devices, but keeps disconnecting from my tv box! 

I can't watch netflix etc on tv or use my phone app to record etc because " cannot be connected"
I've rebooted my box and it will work for 5 minutes, then gone again. SO ANNOYING when I'm paying nearly £100 a month for it! 

Tried ringing and just get automated messages and no answers.. anyone help? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Rachel 

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you not run a cable to the TV?  What does the VM Connect app show with regards to wifi strength? 

Do the dropouts affect any cabled connections?

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rachel, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with your WiFi dropping on your TV device. 

Taking a look at things this end, I can only see a business account - not a residential. If you are a residential customer using another connection currently then we would need to confirm some information with you. As you've mentioned the issue is with one device, it's possible that the connection to this is too weak.

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help.

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi.

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here.

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs