Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi keeps cutting off

Hello, Just hoping someone might help us with these issues. 
About a month ago had an engineer coming by to replace our hub cause there had been some issues with it . Ie the broadband falling away completely.

Now for the past week the wifi has been cutting off and reappearing weakly always in the evening after 6pm. Its incredibly damaging as we work from home and we have lost income . 
We do have that a desktop pc and two playstations connected to the hub with ethernet cables and those always seem to be still working , so it is literally just the wifi. 

We have the 3 devices on the ethernet working fine, two laptops and two phones on wifi constantly losing the connection. I have changed bands , 5ghz and etc and still nothing. 
We have also now gotten super weak connection in the bedroom and bathroom (these two are literally next to the living room where the hub is) . We cannot reliably even watch a youtube video in semi decent quality (360 fp) which seems baffling. 

We had never had any issues with all these devices being hooked up together and working before the new hub. 

Hopefully someone has a solution for this , many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi keeps cutting off

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you changed to a less congested channel?

It could be time for a new router or a mesh system if the issue is just with the WiFi. 

Note that residential broadband doesn’t cover you for loss of income etc.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey ! 
Thanks for answering!

The hub is standing in the same space the previous one stood for 2 years and we had never had an issue with it like this. 
But if you are speaking of these extra equipments and stuff than that's fine . I just wonder why i'm paying 50 quid a month for this broken thing I then need to pay more for to fix?

Besides that, any more pointers on what extras ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Asch wrote:

Hey ! 
Thanks for answering!

The hub is standing in the same space the previous one stood for 2 years and we had never had an issue with it like this. 
But if you are speaking of these extra equipments and stuff than that's fine . I just wonder why i'm paying 50 quid a month for this broken thing I then need to pay more for to fix?

Besides that, any more pointers on what extras ? 

Because WiFi isn’t guaranteed and as such isn’t part of your contract. And there could be any number of environmental changes that can have a knock on effect. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos