Menu
paulfraser1983
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi in outhouse

Hi,

I've just bought a house with an outhouse / shed that will be used as an office. The Wifi signal is extremely poor out there so looking at options to extend it. 

I have an old powerline adapter that I tried but it ony works with ethernet which my laptop doesnt have. Also only getting about 50mbps  on it and I've got the highest speed package. Looking at other powerline adapters or Mesh wifi setups. 

The outhouse has a coax cable which can run the mini box - is there a way to run the wifi from that? Its going to be difficult to run an ethernet cable through house from where the hub 4 is.

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi in outhouse

You’ll need to run Ethernet or get a decent mesh system that has the range you need. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You do not specify the distance involved, this is critical in calculating if you are trying to use WiFi. Ethernet cables is always best. Mesh is an in-word at the moment, but I see no logical reason why it could be used in your situation. If Ethernet is not viable you could try a point to point wireless link, not WiFi, these are fairly cheap these days. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re the laptop - you can get ethernet adapters to any port the laptop has. I have them for my varios Macbooks - USB3 and USBc ane Thunderbolt and they all connect just fine on ethernet.

Re. powerlines - often when a sparks wires up external conversions etc., they use a separate consumer unit. If they did then powerlines will never work as the circuits are not "connected". Check how yours is wired up.

Tudor is right, run good quality external ethernet cable from the Hub - preferably "shielded" cable - and provinding the distance is not too great that will always be the best solution.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos