Menu
stephencousins
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Wifi faster than Ethernet with a switch

I have only recently had Virgin installed. I am on the 350mb/s package.

When running in router or modem mode the result is the same. 

WiFi is super fast. No problems. 

When I connect a device directly via ethernet, no problem.

The minute I add a switch the speed drops considerably.

I have two computers in my garden office. I have run a Cat 6 cable from the Superhub 3 at the front of my house to the office in the back garden. My intention was to use a standard unmanaged 5 port gigabit switch and run a cable to each computer. However, in every test, in every configuration I can think of with two different switches and lots of different cables the result is the same. 

I have a WiFi router in the office. If I plug the 50m cat 6 cable in to the back of that and connect both computers to WiFi, I get superfast speeds again. But I would really like to have a direct wired connection.

Any thoughts on this? I know there have been known issues with switches but I can't see a problem on here which matches mine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi faster than Ethernet with a switch

One test you could try is; plug a short Cat5e/6 cable into the VM hub, other end into your 5 port switch, plug your long cable into the switch and the other end outside into one machine. See what speeds you get. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos