Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi extra point

"Hi, I have a virgin broadband system and I have run a data cable from the downstairs hub to an upstairs office. However, the wifi signal in the office is non existant (too far from the downstairs hub presumably). What can i use in the office to attach to the data system to provide wifi upstairs?. Many thanks for anyone with an answer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi extra point

add a wireless access point.
If you need network ports as well add a switch as well

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@gwgrahamwalters wrote:

"Hi, I have a virgin broadband system and I have run a data cable from the downstairs hub to an upstairs office. However, the wifi signal in the office is non existant (too far from the downstairs hub presumably). What can i use in the office to attach to the data system to provide wifi upstairs?. Many thanks for anyone with an answer.

Do you have to use Wi-Fi ?

Cable connections are far more reliable.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Many thanks for the speedy reply and forgive my ignorance but what is and how do I add a wifi access point and the same with a switch?. It's been a long time since I added anything to my system and I am a bit out of touch..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

>> Wireless Access Point << it is only 100Mbs but that should be more than adequate for office work.

>> Unmanaged Switch << plug and play 1Gbs ethernet connection capable.

TBH if you just use ethernet connected devices you could do away with the Wireless Access Point and add it later if you can't do without Wi-Fi.

hub-to-office

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

a switch gives you more ports you connect your network cable to the switch and hub. that will give you more ports upstairs as you are going to use one for wireless
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HP6ZLSM?pf_rd_r=ZPXK3ZMTVEWGH56QP5EC&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-48...

Then the wireless access point is connected to the switch. Many options. Personally i use Unifi AP but they are not simple to setup.

plenty of options https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=wireless+access+point+802.11ac&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dont get a cheap AP 100mbps will not be good and it needs to be 802.11ac at a minimum.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Excellent

many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9