Menu
ClaireyA20
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi dropping out

WiFi has been dropping out intermittently, it shows full signal strength but says “Connected, no internet”

I ran diagnostics on the hub and it says I have issues with WiFi but where do I go from here? Can’t get through to anyone on the phone ....

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi dropping out

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If thats all ok....

EDIT - you said in the other thread you have running that wired connections are fine and its just wifi - is that correct

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ClaireyA20
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi... thank you. I just called, no issues albeit we haven’t got any issue at the moment. On the hub, there doesn’t seem to be any other light other than the power one most of the time

0 Kudos
ClaireyA20
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ps Ethernet connections seem to be fine, thanks for your help

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi problems can't fixed with the hub so use it in modem mode and get a better wireless router with 1Gb port.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Right to cut to the chase it looks like you issue is purely wifi. If you have a Hub 3 try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance.

Or, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ClaireyA20
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, will try the below and report back. Is there a chance though that the hub could be faulty though as think I would like to try a replacement first? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If ethernet connections are fine - its unlikely they will replace the Hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Charlie018
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

After many issues with my Hub 3 WiFi and 3 replacement hubs I decided to bite the bullet and purchase my own router. 
I went out and purchased a Netgear AX12 and placed my hub into modem mode. I now have the best WiFi coverage ever, have sold off my extenders.

what a difference and no thanks to Virgin who to be honest have been of no help what’s do ever. Their super hubs are absolutely useless unless they are used as modems.

I even tried before to get a hub 4 and was told all sorts of lies and promises. Well Virgin you can keep your hub!

To all you other Virgin customers out there just go and buy your own router! 

0 Kudos
ClaireyA20
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone - What’s the likelihood though that this issue will remain? “Connected no WiFi”? Last thing I want to do is buy an expensive router to have exactly the same issue... I also think that there should at least be some contact from Virgin given that their WiFi isn’t fit for purpose... if someone can refer me somewhere that I can possibly get to speak to someone from Virgin that would be appreciated 👍🏻

0 Kudos