Menu
Highlighted
Nelly_91
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Wifi dropping out

Hi,

My WiFi is constantly dropping out and I keep having to reboot the router to get it to work again. I’m having to do this several times a day, when I rang up virgin they say there’s no faults with the internet but clearly there is. Sometimes only the 2G network will work or sometimes only the 5G network. Any suggestions as it’s driving me up the wall as I work from home?

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi dropping out

Hello,

Is this issue happening for all of your devices? If so, does it happen for all your devices at the same time or only one at a time? Are you typically far away from the hub when you lose the connection or does it not matter?

When you wrote "Sometimes only the 2G network will work or sometimes only the 5G network", did you mean that you would still see the other SSID (network name) but couldn't connect on it? If you do see it but can't connect on it, what's the error message you receive when it fails?

Did you remove the smart wifi feature or is it still on (it's on by default, so if you don't know what it is, it probably is).

Can you tell us how you would typically reboot the router? I assume you just unplug and replug it back in?

Also, any error message you'd receive at any point could be useful, so please write it down if you see one.

0 Kudos
Nelly_91
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

thanks for your reply

It’s all devices it does it on and I can be sat right next to the hub or upstairs, doesn’t seem to make a difference. 

I can see all the networks and click on one network and it will work but on another it will say “no internet connection” on apple devices and on other devices will connect but the device just says no internet connection but displays WiFi sign. 

Not sure about the smart WiFi and wouldn’t know how to turn it off or on. 

Yes I just unplug it and wait a couple of minutes and plug it back in. Always works after that, just frustrating having to do it all the time. Never had any error messages displayed and lights on the hub are flashing like normal but nothing connects. 

0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would recommend you first try to reset the hub to its factory default settings, as it might very well fix the issue and is probably the simplest option. The downside would be that all changes you've made, like how you "split" your SSID into two for both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands will be reverted. You can look up the instructions on how to do it here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub.

The option for the channel optimisation would be under "Advanced settings" --> "Wireless" --> "Wireless signal" and then at the bottom of the page under "Smart WiFi".

Also, is any of your devices a computer?

Please let me know if it still doesn't work after trying this.

0 Kudos
Nelly_91
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you that seems to have worked. I never set it up as split, it’s always done that since I got the hub. Have 2 laptops but not a desktop. 

0 Kudos