Menu
Cheech76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wifi dropping out,, slow speeds terrible signal strengh

My wifi has been awful past month or so,, we pay for the fastest broadband with you, yet wifi 2ghz is ony making it up to 80mb on speed test at best of times,,, usually is around 20 to 30mb... also keeps dropping out all the time...also the signal strength is really poor when moving out the room were the modem is.. I have done all the tests and restarts your site asks for,, nothing works.. driving me crazy, kids constantly complaining.. needs attending of ASAP please... rang virgin 3 times and was cut off after over 45 min per phone call..

Thankyou

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi dropping out,, slow speeds terrible signal strengh

What speed package are you on? What speeds do you get on the 5GHz band? And also on ethernet cable connected devices? Do the drops happen on ethernet too, if so what are the Hub lights showing/doing at that time? What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Cheech76 wrote:

My wifi has been awful past month or so,, we pay for the fastest broadband with you, yet wifi 2ghz is ony making it up to 80mb on speed test at best of times,,, usually is around 20 to 30mb...also keeps dropping out all the time...also the signal strength is really poor when moving out the room were the modem is..

This is about right - 80 is about the max you can expect.. 20 - 30 on average.. i might expect a bit more from a decent router (which the hub is not). 

As for the dropouts - is this just on wifi? do you have anything wired into the hub? does that drop at the same time?

@Cheech76 wrote:

I have done all the tests and restarts your site asks for,, nothing works.. driving me crazy, kids constantly complaining.. needs attending of ASAP please... rang virgin 3 times and was cut off after over 45 min per phone call..

Thankyou

VM don't guarantee the speed/performance of wifi - if the underlying connection is working and you're getting the speeds you pay for when using a device connected via ethernet, then they're holding up their end of the contract.

You might want to investigate buying a third-party router or mesh system.

thanks

James

0 Kudos
TALON1973
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf that’s a cop out from virgin. The cable going into the house might be perfect , but if the router isn’t fit for purpose that’s is something you could take to court and win. 

You shouldn’t need to buy a separate device to feed a WiFi signal in an average size house.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All BB suppliers cannot and do not "guarantee" wifi connections for obvious reasons based on physics.

They all will make efforts though to "boost" the signal from their Hubs.

VM now supply “wifi pods” (no longer “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - which does in fact compare favourably with BT's monthly charge for "whole home wifi" of £10/month

However, at that level of investment you would soon pay off those costs by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

But your call of course

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@TALON1973 wrote:

@tehwolf that’s a cop out from virgin. The cable going into the house might be perfect , but if the router isn’t fit for purpose that’s is something you could take to court and win. 

You shouldn’t need to buy a separate device to feed a WiFi signal in an average size house.

perhaps. but you can either live with the endless frustration of using a substandard wireless router, or you could do something about it. you can hit your head against a brick wall for a while if you like, trying to get VM to do something about it (what, though, I'm not sure - the alternative to a hub is another hub..), before eventually accepting that it's not going to meet your needs and either find an alternative supplier or buy something that better meets your requirements.

0 Kudos
Cheech76
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

600mb speed pay for hub 3 I've got.. Does not drop out whilst wired... 5gh 140 150 speeds... 2gh as I said slow and no we're near 600 as I wouldn't expect it to be.,, but up till say 4 to 6 weeks ago 2ghz was getting 300 to 350 and was great now wount go near it.. Keeps droppung in out...  Signal is terrible compared to what it used to be... Solid white light on modem..  To work great then go to way it is now after years is not right. Need it sorting out please

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
TALON1973
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

2.4 ghz has a max speed of 150 mbps . 

0 Kudos
Cheech76
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

300 350 might be mistaken .. however it was easily pushing way over 150,, 2ghz god nos why if it maxs at 150... however my point being there's something wrong somewhere its working fine 1 minute then goes to crap the next,, without it getting any enter..  done a diagnostic test on modem an says WiFi issues,, my network has issues problems whatever,,  can someone who can look into this for me please,  as I'm having no luck over the phone

0 Kudos