cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out on mobile device

String89
Tuning in

Hi we've recently switched to VM and had a new hub 5 installed Friday. I'm having an issue with my Samsung A53, the signal keeps dropping and reverting me to my mobile data. This is extremely frustrating. I've changed the option on my phone to stop it reverting and it eventually does reconnect, but why is this happening? When I have the drop outs my phone says its 'connected without wifi' Its very intermittant, i've downloaded the VM connect app and it has said the signal strength is 'fair' at times but then when I try to click improve the app crashes. My phone has the latest updates, lots of memory and I never ever had this issue with sky. It appears to just be my phone having these issues, my husband has an oppo and hasnt experienced any drop outs? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Amy

15 REPLIES 15

Problem solved. 

It was indeed a compatibility issue between the Hub 5 ( wifi 6 ) and my phone Samsung A53 ( wifi 5 ).

Something Virgin haven't decided to tell people. 

Hi xbakerbob, thanks for message and welcome back to the forums.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a compatibility issue and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

This is something which we are aware of and hopefully this is resolved soon. ^Chris.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I spent over an hour on the phone Wednesday evening to customer services. It was the most frustrating experience and the worst customer service I have encountered.  They just would not acknowledge the issue is with compatibility, instead trying to pass blame to the customer and my phone. If this is a well known issue why are they not checking compatibility with customers prior to installation. If I'd managed to get through in my cooling off period I would have cancelled, i can't believe the effort it took just to get though to a human. To cut a long story short, I have a technician coming in... January!!!... to assess and maybe downgrade the router. At a cost of £25 that will be added to my bill!!! What a joke.

An absolute disgrace, I am extremely disappointment with the service I have received.

Hi String89, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one with an update. 

I'm sorry to hear that you feel unhappy with the support you've been given over the phone. 

We will certainly take on board your comments as feedback and pass these over to the team. 

As it's a compatibility issue, an engineer isn't going to be able to resolve this so would you like me to cancel the visit and this then avoids the £25 charge? Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath

I don't feel like I'm getting any support to be perfectly honest.

If an engineer can't fix the issue, what exactly is the proposal here? VM have acknowledged there are a wide range of compatibility issues but don't seem to be offering any solution to the problem? Please advise how this issue is going to be rectified? My phone is used for work purposes and is the device most used within the household... the broadband in place basically renders it useless. Surely this is the responsibility of VM to sort? I really feel under these circumstances if no fix is implemented I should be able to cancel my contract as you're not meeting the service agreements? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Amy

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Amy,

I appreciate the frustration you have with this. Whilst we aim to provide compatibility for all devices, this isn't something we can guarantee and therefore, is one of the reasons we are limited on the support we can offer for the Wi-Fi service. Due to the holiday period, we are beginning to see a high-demand for our Technician call-outs, and as a result, it may take longer than usual for a visit.

After doing further checks, it does appear that the Samsung A52 5G handset isn't compatible with the Wi-Fi 6 service, this is a manufacturer design and not an issue on our end. It has been advised directly by Samsung that the A52s 5G device (a refreshed A52 model) is. 

To confirm, you mentioned this is a Work Phone - do you have any VPNs on the device? In addition, are you seeing this problem when connecting to other Wi-Fi networks with the same device?

As the issue you're seeing does currently appear to be device-specific, this would not fit the criteria for allowing somebody to exit their contract without incurring Early Disconnection Fees. You may find the Technician can offer the ability to downgrade your equipment to a different Hub.

Please be aware that it would be at the Technician's discretion whether a charge is applicable. There would be no charge for a visit unless:
- The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
- The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
- The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ