cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping and immediately coming back on 4-5 times a day for weeks

DoctorOverbuild
Tuning in

Hi all!

For the last few weeks and a few days after we got a new router our connection has been dropping a few times a day and then coming back on after a minute.

it’s been reported there are issues in our area but it’s been nearly 2 months and every week we get another text saying that’ll it’s almost fixed and it’ll be repaired the following Wednesday.

There has been 0 improvement on this front despite the text messages gradually getting more positive. I understand issues can happen but after nearly 2 months of this with 3 people in the house working from home and on meetings it’s been incredibly painful. 

I’m not convinced the issue is even being worked on as it all feels very automatic, we called once and got told we just have to wait. Surely 2 months is unreasonable considering it’s a paid for service?

If anyone can possibly help with this it would be massively appreciated, I’m wondering if it’s actually our router that’s caused the issue as we never had it with the old one.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is being reported on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

Also just to be clear,  are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it really is a network connection/Hub related?

Then to monitor and record any true disconnections - set up a BQM.

Set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John! Thanks for responding, you've already been more helpful than Virgin themselves so far!

I've done what you said and believe this is the link although I've only just done this now so it'll be worth looking at tomorrow (It does normally drop a few times at night) - 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/601c7543bbd7239dfac46ebf2fbc5a9079f403ec

I also called the number you mentioned, it said they're aware of the issue but as it is complicated it is taking a while, or something along those lines... 0 Estimates or expected fix times which is insane after weeks of having this issue!

And I can confirm both wireless and ethernet have the issue, the whole house temporarily blacks out connection wise.

A side question but I did the background monitor with the IP address it picked up, does this mean I need to keep my laptop on so it picks up on any connection drops? I can happily do that if that's the case.

Cheers again mate.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/601c7543bbd7239dfac46ebf2fbc5a9079... 

I realised I didn't put the link in as you said, this should be alright here as I've done it right now! I checked today and you can see some packet loss every 2 hours or so.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Link working ok - packet drops evident.   These are stored in the daily records on your calendar on the TB Website - its pinging the Hub not the device connected to it - so you dont need to do anything there.   

But VM are aware there is an issue and they are working to fix it.  There is little you can do until they trace the fault and sort it.  I am guessing it will be "noise" getting into the system from a faulty component somewhere - perhaps one of yours -  or one of your neighbours' connected in the same street cab.  These can be very tricky to pin down - hence the "unknown" fix times.

All you can do is check whether anything you have is causing it - so can you do this....

Switch the Hub off and unplug it from the mains supply for five minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax and ethernet cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. pet bite marks, etc.   Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes When all done, check back and monitor if  the BQM cleans up.

Also what devices do you have connected to the Hub on ethernet cables?  I would swap to all new Cat6a cables just to rule out a faulty cable or bad connector.  There are a lot of reports on here where that has been the cause of the packet drop issues showing on the BQM.

Also, you haven't by any chance replaced any of the VM co-ax cables with longer/shorter ones advertised on Amazon as being "compatible" - have you 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hiya mate once again, thanks for your response on this.

I'll do what you say tomorrow while everyone is out the house, do you have any links to cables you could recommend?

Also I do want to point out we have a mesh wifi system - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3RQG6F...

Is there anything I should be checking with that which could be causing this? It worked completely fine with our last router so I can't imagine it's the issue as the set up is the exact same.

Also while virgin say they are fixing it is there really nothing I can do? I do work from home a lot and this is so disruptive especially when we pay for the service! can we not swap internet provider or anything because I can't imagine months of drops is fine to live with.

Thank you!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Amazon Cat6a cables are fine.   The deco m5 is an excellent system - I have 3 mates who use them and love 'em 😎

You could try setting them up from scratch again as below - as you got a new router - but if its a known VM issue - that needs sorting first.

Switch on and set up your  first Deco unit (in its settings) to have its WAN port set to be in.. Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from all Mesh units and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your first Deco on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat6a ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub.

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi mate, once again huge thanks for your response. I've done most of this but alas there's no difference.

I called Virgin yesterday and told them if it's not fixed by the deadline they told me next Wednesday for the repairs to be done I'll be looking to cancel my virgin media contract. We'll have to see how things are come next week when they call me back!