Menu
gadgilmv
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wifi disappearing for a few seconds Hub 3

Since last 3-4 months we have a recurring issue of Wi-Fi network droping for a few secs and reappears.

this is more of a short glitch rather than long outage. it is nothing to do with the Wi-Fi siganl quality as this heppens even when we are in the same room as that of the hub. This drop lasts from 30 sec to a min and it comes back on by itself, but this is enough for breaking connections from teams meetings, distrub the streaming  & chromecast loose connection.

its not specific to any device as laptops, phones, tabs, chrome casts effectively all devices connected to wifi loose connection. its not related to wifi range as it happens even if you are in the same room as that of the hub.

I had a calls with techical team and have tried restarting the hub, resetting the hub , repositioning the hub but nothing has helped. Customer support team does not seem to understand the issue as they are pointing to number of devices connected or Wi-Fi coverage to be the potential cause of the issue. where as same number of devices have been there since more than last 12 months at the same location and we never had this glitch in Wifi. Its only recently that we have this issue. if either of these would have been the issue I would have faced speed reduction not a momentory blackout which the tele team does not seem to understand or does not want to accept. They have suggested to try and wired connecttion to devices instead of wireless which is not possible and defeats the purpose of having a Wi-Fi hub at the first place.

I have also raised to complaints from my account for this issue & Virgin has closed both the tickets without any feedback via email or phone call. The complaint reference numbers for the tickets are C-1401212485 and C-1102212808.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi disappearing for a few seconds Hub 3

You havent said, is that over wifi connections only - or do you have the same problems on an ethernet cable connected device at the same time.

And what do the various Hub lights show/do at these times?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gadgilmv
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The issue seems to be only related to devices that are connected in wireless manner. the laptop that is connected in a wired manner does not loose internet connection when other devices loose Wi-Fi network. The hub still shows only one LED indication even when the wifi disappears similar to when the network is healthy. I will need to note the colour of the LED once again but as remember the color goes green from white when the Wi-Fi disappears. 

I had received an email yesterday from Virgin saying " We’ve been busy upgrading our Intelligent WiFi tech to give you our most reliable WiFi experience with your Hub 3". I am not sure what is this update all about. I had one glitch inscidance yesterday but that might be before this update, at last I have not noticed the Wi-Fi glitch today. I will keep an eye for a few more days. 

Can you please let me know if this is a known issue with Virgin hub 3 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The main issue with the Hub3 is that for many customers in "challenging" wifi environments, is the its wif is simpel just not good enough.

Assuming your wired connections are all ok then as VM don’t “guarantee” speeds over wifi (only ethernet cables) they only now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own better quality wireless equipment (not extenders) which will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

See also Andrusers' similar comments in message 4 here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/wifi-booster/m-p/4627034#M382901

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos