cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi cuts out multiple times a day, every day.

ChrisL123
Joining in

How do I get an actual person to help me. I have been through the site, done all the system resets and reboots and gone through every help page on this site and I cannot find literally any way to speak to a human or book an engineer. The "how to book an engineer" page literally has no information as to how to book an engineer.

I've had virgin broadband for just shy of a month now and at least twice a day (sometimes as many as 10-15 times) every single day without fail my internet will fully just cut out for 1-3 minutes at a time. This makes gaming completely impossible, makes streaming a nightmare of irritation and Virgin's customer service infrastructure seems custom-built to cause as much distress as possible when trying to find a solution.

All of the at-home fixes do not work. Half the time the online hub checker thing doesn't even detect a problem due to the service drops being so intermittent. Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So... is the internet cutting off - or is the wifi dropping?  These are different.

Check for any known faults on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

Firstly... Can we check… are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

Can you connect as many devices as possible to your Hub by ethernet cables for best performance.  To improve the wifi - see this.....

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

See message 5 in this thread for how to connect Pods

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-boosters-needed/m-p/5122436#M497217

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

MetalMickey2023
Joining in

Hi Chris 

I've recently just had a similar issue. I've been with Virgin for about 3 months now and this was the first time I've had an issue and needed help.

The broadband fault was intermittent, so one minute you have a connection, the next it was off again. Which made any kind of Internet use impossible. I had to tether to my phone to be able to work from home. 

I was unable to speak to anyone at virgin. I believe their customer service is pretty much non existance. It's all automated, even their live chat. 

After going through the various phone options, I did manage to get to the point where I found an automated voice telling me there was an issue in my post code and managed to get them to update me with text message re the fix. It took about a week. 

It does sound like the problem is not at your home but in your area. In which case there's nothing you can do but wait until it's fixed. 

Sorry I can't be of any more help but I certainly understand your frustration! 

Mick 

Client62
Legend

The Hub menu settings below totally solved our Wi-Fi dropouts...

Client62_0-1689525728997.png

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it says there's no problem in my area currently. Still cutting out multiple times. 5 times in the last 2 and a half hours so far. The customer service is pathetic for a company of this size, if I've not got it sorted by the end of this week I think the least painful option is just to move providers.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi John,

The internet is cutting out, the WiFi signal remains there but there's no internet. There's no local issues reported by that number. I don't have any devices connected by ethernet, I don't have my couch delivered yet so it's not really feasible at the moment to sit on the floor all day with my laptop plugged into the router waiting for a connection drop unfortunately.

It's a hub3, as far as I can tell the lights don't change when the internet drops. The pods aren't really a solution as the WiFi coverage is fine, it's just I've got no internet going through it and I've changed the SSID settings and that's done nothing. Thanks for trying though, it's much appreciated!

Chris

Hi,

I tried this, if anything it's worse now lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hey @ChrisL123,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with drop outs, looking into our systems I can see you would benefit from having a technician sent out, for me to raise this for you, I will need to confirm some information from you in a private message.

Joe