Menu
110sb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Wifi constantly disconnecting Chromebook

I have a brand new HP Chromebook but am experiencing WiFi connectivity issues.  The Chromebook is connected to the router and when connected is working just fine but it is plagued by constant dropping off the WiFi connection.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when this happens and when it does, it is for a matter of seconds and reconnects automatically.

The drop out only affects the Chromebook. No other devices attached to the router (on either frequency or by Ethernet cable) experience disconnection at the same time and the router remains connected to the network.

The connectivity is affected no matter how many other devices are connected to the router and will also happen if the Chromebook is right next to the router.  It does not appear that bandwidth or signal strength are the cause.

I have rebooted the router frequently and I assume that it has automatically updated its software.  I have updated the Chromebook software and am running the most up to date version on the device.

Additionally, I have changed the network names on the router to distinguish between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies.  I have re-assigned devices to prefer specific frequencies but the WiFi drop out continues to occur no matter how many devices are connected to the network or individual frequencies.

I am at a loss.  Will an updated router help or is there something else I can do?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi constantly disconnecting Chromebook

Could be an issue with the Chromebook

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
110sb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wifi constantly disconnecting Chromebook

Thank you. It's definitely a possibility but I was hoping that there might be an issue with the HUB3 that is several years old rather than the brand new Chromebook. HP have said that they don't think it is an issue with the Chromebook as it connects easily, functions well (whilst connected) and reconnects automatically straight away. I am hoping to eliminate all other options and gather further data before going back to HP.
0 Kudos